Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Divisions-Begleit-Kp in a Panzer Div. ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divisions-Begleit-Kp in a Panzer Div. ??

Hi Guys !

Could someone explain me when the Div.-Begleit Kompanien were created in Panzer-Divisions, and what was his military Role / Task/ Mission ?

Where they directly under control of the Divisional Staff ??

Many thanks for any Help in this Matter. Lionel.

I don't know much about them, but as far as i know they fell directly under the Divisional staff and were used as emergency unit.
    I got a Soldbuch for the Begleit-Kp. of 4.Pz.Div.

Here is the KStN: http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn1261feb44.htm
    I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
    Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
    My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Can't help you with the date these where organized.

The Begleit-Kompanie was tasked with the protection of the divisional staff. It was created based on experiences at the start of the war. Mobile warfare is rapid and there was a specific need to protect the Staff from enemy action, since it was moving forward with the combat troops at a different pace than seen in previous conflicts. Before the creation of the Begleit-kompanie elements from the divisional combat units was assigned this task.

It was under direct control of the Divisionskommando.

Comment

Many Thanks guys for your imput on this Subject ! It is more clear for me now, but other Infos, such as precise creation Date, and so on... are welcome.

What makes me wonder, it's the fact that - for an example with the case of the 4.Pz.Div., it don' t appears on the Stellenbesetzungen.

Could it be also named "Alarm Bataillon" ??? I don't think so, but, one more time, I am glad to hear any fact or suggestion on that Subject !

Thank you all ! Lionel.

Comment

Hello Lionel !

I can confirm what the other members said on the tasks of a Div.Begl.Kp.

The time frame : I think the first (experimental) Div.Begl.Kp. was raised by 1. Pz.Div. in mid Jan. 1943 (Div. history, p. 412).
          (Organization :
          - Zug Pz.Gren.(gep. SPW),
          - Zug 2cm Flak,
          - Zug s.PzJg. (Sfl.)
          - Zug le.PzJg. (mot.Z.)
          - s.Zug (s. MG. Zug and 1 m.Gr.W. Gruppe)
          (Total strength : 3 Offc./305 NCOs+E.M., 96 mot. vehicles).

As the "experiment" seemed to had been successful, the Div.Begl.Kp. was officially introduced with the Gliederung
          "Panzer-Division 43" in autumn 1943 for all Pz.Divs.. But the reorganization of the Pz.Divs. was done step by step.

There is a good book on this organizational topics by Battistelli. According to him, in late 1943,
          only 17., 23. and 24. PzDiv. had formed such a Div.Begl.Kp. The majority of Divs. formed one in May-July 1944.
          (That should also apply to 4. Pz.Div.). He also confirms, that this unit was used to provide protection to Div.HQ,.
          but at times also was used as a last reserve combat force.

To shed some more light on this, I found an interesting statement in a FMS report P-163 by SS-Brig.Fü. Heinz Harmel
          on 10. SS-Pz.Div. :
          >> Die Div.Begl.Kp. 10 war mit besonderer Sorgfalt personell und ausrüstungsmässig zusammengestellt und ausgebildet.
          Die meisten Unterführer waren fronterfahren. Die Einheit besass einen besonders guten Zusammenhalt und Kampfgeist.
          Ausser zu ihren normalen Aufgaben als Begleit-Kompanie stand sie auch zu anderen schwierigeren Kampfaufträgen zur
          Verfügung.<<

[The Div.Begl.Kp. 10 was composed of extremely carefully selected personnel and equipment and was very well trained.
          Most NCOs were battle proven. The unit had an exceptional well cohesion and combat spirit.
          Besides their normal tasks as Begleit-Kp., the unit was also at hand for other, more difficult combat tasks.]

>> The Div.Begl.Kp. of 10. SS Pz.Div. was organized as :
          - Kradschützen-Zug (3 sections, on BMW 75 or VW(Schwimmwagen))
          - Schützen-Zug (~ 92 men, each section with 2 MG 42, and 9 medium Gr.W.)
          - Pi-Gruppe
          - Flak-Zug (6 -2cm Flak (Sfl. (1 to.)))
          - Pak-Zug (3 -7,5cm Pak Sfl. (1 to.))
          - s.IG.-Zug (3 Inf.Guns (15 cm))
          Total strength : about 225 men << [end of citation from FMS P-163]

The organization underwent several changes and in Aug. 1944, (Gliederung PzDiv. 44),
          officially, only the Schützenzug, Kradschtz.zug and Flakzug remained.
          (What the Pz.Divs. had actually at hand, could be quite different).

Cheers,
          Archi

Comment

Great info, thanks!
            I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
            Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
            My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

i think it is affiliated directly to the stabs of division, and guard against any dangerous situations for the staff in the stabs .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X