Reasearching a soldier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasearching a soldier

I have some documents realating to a Stabsgfr. Hanke Ernst Walter. His unit was I beleive 1 Kp. Nachr.Abtlg.1549 how does one go about researching a soidiers wartime history? Also how does the unit designation interpret?
    Many Thanks,
    Reif

Hello Reif,
    I replied to your other thread but here it is again...your man served with 1 Kompanie, Nachrichten Abteilung 1549 (1 Company, Signals Battalion 1549).
    Unfortunately I am unable to provide more info at the moment as my references books are out of reach at the moment!!! Not meaning that I can not be bother to get of my backside!!!!
    I will add more on this unit tomorrow.
    Regarding researching his career it could be difficult. If you write to the Deutsches Dienststelle they ask for name, date of birth and place of birth....whether his name and unit is enough it is worth a try!
    Try the following link:

http://www.com-de.pair.com/wast/

Regards, Ian
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thanks again Ian! yes I read your response to my former thread.
      Thanks again,
      Reif

Comment

Division Nachr.Abtlg.1549 was formed December 1944 from the already existing (26.7.1944) Nachr.Kp. 1549. It was part of 549 Volks Gren.Div. from October 1944 to February 1945 in east Prussia under XXVI Armee Korps, 3 Pz.Armee and 4 Armee.

/Ian
        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X