X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schutzen Regiment 108 waffenfarbe

I have a question about Schutzen Regiment 108

From Lexicon Der Wehrmacht:

Das Schützen-Regiment 108 wurde am 15. Oktober 1940 auf dem Truppenübungsplatz Königsbrück, im Wehrkreis IV, aufgestellt. Das Regiment entstand durch die Umgliederung des Infanterie-Regiment 108, aus dessen Stab, I. und II. Bataillon und der 3. Kompanie vom MG-Bataillon 7. Das Regiment erhielt auch noch eine 12. (Fla) Kompanie aus der 3./Fla-Bataillon 48. Die Nr. 108 erhielt das Regiment aus Traditionsgründen zur Erinnerung an das Königlich-Sächsische Schützenregiment Prinz Georg Nr. 108. Das Regiment unterstand nach der Aufstellung der 14. Panzer-Division. Taktisch wurde das Regiment der Schützen-Brigade 14 unterstellt. Im Frühjahr 1941 bildete die Kolonne vom Regiment die 12. kleine Kraftwagen-Kolonne vom Panzer-Divisions-Nachschubführer 4. Am 5. Juli 1942 wurde das Regiment in Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 108 umbenannt.

Its roots from the WW1 period are:

(1) Königlich-Sächsische Schützenregiment Prinz Georg Nr. 108

Uniform example here:

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgur...h=828&biw=1205

So if I understand it correctly, the WW2 lineage is:

(2) Infanterie-Regiment 108

(3) Schutzen Regiment 108 (1940)

(4) panzer-Grenadier Regiment 108 (1942)

My question relates the waffenfarbes:

(1) = Imperial uniform RED piped (ww1 era)

(2) = Infantry WHITE (Weimar-early Heer)

(3) = What branch color-Waffenfarbe for Schutzen Reg? is it Infantry WHITE or Jager Green???

(4) = Pz.Grenadier light green

Questions:
    Is this lineage correct?
    +
    WHAT IS the farbe for (3) ?

Comment

OK I think I already found the answer It happened also with another Infantry Regiment that was converted to Schutzen regiment:

Die Soldaten vom Regiment mussten ihre weiße Waffenfarbe gegen das Wiesengrün umtauschen.

So the answer for (3) = green!

Comment

Angolia

In Angolia's first volume on the "Uniforms and Traditions of the German Army", the first battalion of Pz. Gren Rgt. 108 is listed Jaeger because of the tradition of the I/ Infanterie Rgt. 10. This is the unit that Pz. Gren. Rgt. 108 was formed from. There was already a Kav, Schuetzen Rgt. 10 which became Pz. Gren. 10 (9. Pz.). http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...enter/IR10.htm
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
          Its roots from the WW1 period are:

(1)

Uniform example here:

So if I understand it correctly, the WW2 lineage is:

(2) Infanterie-Regiment 108

(3) Schutzen Regiment 108 (1940)

(4) panzer-Grenadier Regiment 108 (1942)

My question relates the waffenfarbes:

(1) = Imperial uniform RED piped (ww1 era)

(2) = Infantry WHITE (Weimar-early Heer)

(3) = What branch color-Waffenfarbe for Schutzen Reg? is it Infantry WHITE or Jager Green???

(4) = Pz.Grenadier light green

Questions:
          Is this lineage correct?
          +
          WHAT IS the farbe for (3) ?
          Correction:

You got the lineage wrong

The "Königlich-Sächsische Schützenregiment Prinz Georg Nr. 108" of Imperial Germany was the tradition unit of only the 2nd Kompanie, Infanterie-Regiment 10. In the Weimar Reichswehr, every Kompanie had a different Imperial Regiment as their tradition.

1.) Infanterie-Regiment 10
          2.) Schutzen Regimnet 108

In August 1940, I. and II. Batl. Infanterie-Regiment 10 became SR108.

There was no Infanterie Regiment 108 before August 1942

The Infanterie Regiment 108 , later Grenadier Regiment 108 was a totally different unit - it was created in July 1942 as part part of the 38. Infanterie-Division.

Last edited by naxos; 07-02-2016, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks Naxo.
            I also noticed Infanterie Reg. 108 being formed much later (1942) so no lineage with the Schutzen regiment 108! Yes agreed...
            Pz Gren Reg 108 was formed from Schutzen Regiment 108 which has NO link with Infanterie Regiment 108!!!!

So the correction would be as follows:

1)"Königlich-Sächsische Schützenreg. Prinz Georg Nr. 108" 2 kompanie became:
            2) Infanterie-Regiment 10 ( Weimar-Heer)
            3) Schutzen Regiment 108 (1940)
            4) Pz Gren. Reg.108 (1942)

Infanterie = white Waffenfarbe
            Schutzen Regiment PINK waffenfarbe + "S" cypher
            but Schutzen Regiment 108 which later became Pz.Gren.Regiment 108 Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 108 had the following:
            Das I. Bataillon trug die Traditionsbezeichnung Jäger-Bataillon

So this sleeve insignia?
            and Schutzen Regiment 108 would have such green piping?
            Thoughts? These early boards (1940-ish) have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the later (1942 established) Pz Gren.Reg. 108!!
            But lineage YES of course!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NickG; 07-03-2016, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I contacted the Traditions Gruppe of the 108 Pz.Gren.Regiment and they said:

Ja das erste Bataillon hat das Jägergrün aus Tradition zu den sächsischen Jägern und Schützen.
              Danke für's zeigen das ist ein sehr interessantes Uniform (Schutzen Regiment 108/14 Panzer)
              Darf man fragen wo es her stammt?

Btw in this Gliederung there is clearly a mistake as it does state the connection between Infanterie reg 108 and the later Schutzen Reg 108.... I was puzzled since the Inf.Reg 108 was not formed until 1942...

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...er/SR108-R.htm

Last edited by NickG; 07-03-2016, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Glen can confirm but I seen a set of shoulder board slip-ons for SR/PGR 108 that were grass green. See post #277:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...08#post6874649

I believe these units that started off as infantry regiments started off with white, and then converted to grass green when they became Schutzen Regiments in the Panzer Divisions created in late 1940 to early 1941.
                Last edited by brooksbz; 07-03-2016, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X