Need Help! ZG-76 Bf-110 Pilot - FW Karl Brandl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help! ZG-76 Bf-110 Pilot - FW Karl Brandl

I posted much of the following a few months ago which re-kindled my interest in TR Luftwaffe colectibles, esp. Honor Goblets. I have reached a stone wall in uncovering additional information on Fw Brandl following his shoot-down on 16 March 1944.

Over 15 years ago I acquired a Flugbuch to Bf-110 pilot Fw Karl Brandl. He flew with ZG-1 and ZG 26 in Russia and Poland in 1942/43. From his buch I learned that he destroyed three Russian aircraft and ten tanks at Kursk and Stalingrad. He returned to Germany and served with ZG-76. He shot down a barrage balloon and on 4 October 1943 damaged a B-17 before having both engines shot out by U.S. fighters near Bonn. He apparently successfully landed his damaged 110 at Bonn-Hangelar flugplatz. He was back on OPs three days later in the same aircraft. On 9 October he damaged another B-17. That same day his 110 was again damaged with his left engine shot out.

On 14 October 1943 "Black Thursday" the second 8th AF mission to Schweinfurt he shot down a B-17 which crashed near Glashofen. The last entry is his log 16 March 1944 ( translated) states "Contact enemy - shot down in flames by US ftr - severely wounded"

Through the use of the Internet and the courtesy of WAF member Michael Everett I learned that Brandl had been awarded an Ehrenpokal on 2 October 1942 as a Gefreiter. His pokal and his flugbuch are now back together. Thank you, Mike!
    Brandl received an EKII, EKI and DKiG (1 April 1943). That's about all I know at this time. The goblet was sold to Mike by an antique dealer at the Freising (Munich) Military show in 2013. The seller had nothing else from Brandl. I would like to fill in the blanks. What happened to him after being shot down? Did he survive the war? What has become of his awards/documents? Does someone have a wartime photo of him? I believe I have identified the B-17 he shot down 14 October 1943 and the victor in his shoot-down in March 1944.

If anyone has ANY further info Fw Karl Brandl, his photro, his documents or anything... I would like to hear from them. Thanks for reading. Bob Gill

Hi,

Did you try to ask for further information at this forum:

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/

There is a good chance to get some additional info on your pilot over there.
    Good luck!

Douglas.

Comment

He is already listed on that forum.....not much more was found unfortunately.....I believe I posted the info to you Bill.

/Ian
      Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thank you, Ian. The info on 12 o'clock high came mainly from his Flugbuch. Got the loss info you sent. Were you able to view the gun camera film? Still hoping that something post 16 March 1944 will turn up on Fw Brandl. Bob

Comment

BTT - Anyone have any additional info about this pilot? Thanks - Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X