Luftwaffe NEBELWERFER units...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe NEBELWERFER units...

I never realized that Luftwaffe Nebelwerfer units existed.
    I found sparse infromation about the 13. Fallschirm- Nebelwerfer Comp.
    attached to the 1.Fallschirmjaeger Division, which was renamed in June 1944 to
    Fallschirm-Werfer Abt.21 and later to Fallschirm-Werfer Abt.210.

Where did they see action? Personnel & armaments?
    Any photos? any unique insignia used?

Any help from knowledgeable collectors / historians would be greatly appreciated!

It makes sense. One wonders if they used the dark burgendy-red like Army smoke troops or just red.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

There were several LW nebelwerfer units and also recoiless rifle " rocket artillery units. Most were formed from "FJ" anti tank or light artillery units. LW Field Divisions also had werfer companies. Like the Waffen SS werfer units, these units wore red for artillery as far as I know.

Comment

burgundy

I had two singles and saw one other Waffen-SS EM and NCO shoulder straps piped in burgundy for Werfer units. Some troops at least wore the color.

Comment

I have seen those tabs too and I think they are (like W-SS)-for EM/NCOs attached to legal services (Wine Red) or like Heer, for EM/NCO assigned to OKH/OKW as support. These soldiers also wore a darker red than artillery often times bordering the colors used for Nebel.

Comment

Thank you for your input.
            I"ve been offered a Luftwaffe field division"Nebelwerfer" tab;
            waiting for photos to come in.
            I've got quite a few FD tabs with different pipings, so I'll have a good
            reference examples.
            I'll post photos when received.

Thanks again.

Comment

I have a pair of luftwaffe NCO shoulder straps with chain stitch embroidered slides in red with R 29. Could this be for Rockets or radar?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would want to see a picture of the slides. They sound more like heer slides which also were made on grey blue cloth similar to LW fabrics.

Here is a link to limited information for three LW Werfer units. There were more. I have the unpublished unit history for FJ Werfer Abt. 21.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...Gliederung.htm

Comment

Originally posted by longislandercjv View Post
                  I found sparse infromation about the 13. Fallschirm- Nebelwerfer Comp.
                  attached to the 1.Fallschirmjaeger Division, which was renamed in June 1944 to
                  Fallschirm-Werfer Abt.21 and later to Fallschirm-Werfer Abt.210.
                  Fallschirm-Werfer Abt. 21 was attached to elements of 6. Fj. Division who fought from mid august in Normandie, after the Falaise pocket exit. The fights continued later in Holland.
                  Last edited by Luft 76; 06-03-2016, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I looked at my book again and it is actually the history of a FJ Werfer unit named Schwere fallschirm wurfkörper Batterie Von Bülow that fought in Africa. So there is another one. I suspect there were many others.

Comment

Hello Diane;
                      the Luftwaffe slip tabs with "R29" are for Reserve Flak Regt 29.
                      Interestingly, I have never seen any other Luftwaffe slip tab except Reserve Flak.

Comment

Thank you Luft76 for the information and Johnny for your continued research.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X