Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info Needed - The battle history of the 1st Armored Division

Hello,

If a member owns a copy, please PM me or comment here.

I am specifically interested in the 1st Armored Division's actions on 30-31 May 1944.

I am researching the story of a German Gefreiter from the 65. Infanterie Division, Johann Vetter, who is credited with destroying 11 tanks during a 24 period. From what I've gathered so far, I believe this to have occurred during an attack by the 1st Armored Division. I'm wondering if there is anything in the book which would corroborate this story.

Many Thanks,
    John

A newspaper article from the Marburger Zeitung on 04 June 1944 refers to the attack and Vetter's actions.

"Im Brennpunkt der Kämpfe im Raum von Campoleone, bei denen der Feind —wie der Wehrmachtbericht vom 31. Mai meldete — 78 Panzer verlor, griffen die Nordamerikaner im Abschnitt einer Division auf etwa vier Kilometer Breite mit rund 200 Panzern an. Bei dem Versuch, unsere Hauptkampflinie einzudrücken, verloren sie allein an dieser Stelle 54 Panzer und hatten ungewöhnlich hohe blutige Verluste. Von den 30 Panzern, die dabei ein Grenadierregiment innerhalb vom 24 Stunden abschoß, brachte, wie gemeldet, der Gefreite Vetter allein elf zur Strecke."
    <O</O
    Attached Files

Comment

There also will be after action reports-sometimes these are on line and will provide little descriptions of fighting and losses. Here is a link to examples-

https://server16040.contentdm.oclc.o...ISOSTART=1,181

Comment

Thanks Johnny - this is a very cool resource.

Unfortunately, I struck out. There were only two reports that I could find - one for a Field Art. Btl. and one for the Med. Btl. Neither containted anything regarding the armored actions on 30-31 May. I did find an interesting tidbit though, the Med. Btl reported they treated the highest amount of casualties in May in the history of the battalion.

Regards,
        John

Comment

Not all the reports will be on-line but they most likely exist. You can contact the US Army History center or NARA may have them. I researched the town I lived in in Germany and there were very detailed reports about fighting there. Losses are almost always documented.

http://www.8th-armored.org/aar/8aarepts.htm

Comment

John,

I have a copy. How can I help?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
              Not all the reports will be on-line but they most likely exist. You can contact the US Army History center or NARA may have them. I researched the town I lived in in Germany and there were very detailed reports about fighting there. Losses are almost always documented.

http://www.8th-armored.org/aar/8aarepts.htm
              Great points. I'm not sure that my interest rises to the level of a NARA inquiry yet, but I may get there.

Best Regards,
              John

Comment

Originally posted by Mike C View Post
                John,

I have a copy. How can I help?

Mike
                Thanks Mike. I will PM you.

Best,
                John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X