• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebirgs-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 2

Hello,

a German dealer is selling a tunic of the Gebirgs-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 2
    (mountain reconnaissance battalion 2)

I do not find any records of such a unit...any hints for me ?

Officer shoulder boards a recon/cavalry yellow with a metal cypher 2 on it, Edelweiss patch on the tunic...

Thanks
    Christian

recon

I have no information about the Abteilung but I used to own a shoulder strap for the Windbluse piped in golden yellow, so there was or were some mt. recon unit(s) based on that original strap.

Comment

Units

Originally posted by pauke View Post
      I have no information about the Abteilung but I used to own a shoulder strap for the Windbluse piped in golden yellow, so there was or were some mt. recon unit(s) based on that original strap.
      Thanks for answering,
      Yes, there are several recce units with the Mountain Divisions....but I can not find something about the "2nd" battalion as indicated by the cypher 2....
      So I wondering if this jacket is
      - untouched
      - has an added edelweiss to a recce/cav jacket
      - has an added cypher boards
      - or is a mix of all.

BTW, here the link:
      https://www.weitze.net/militaria/94/...2__252394.html

Comment

Perhaps someone who had been in Gj unit and later transfered to Recce or cavalry unit, keeping the edelweiss? You can see that kind of things sometimes. I believe there were some German sailors in Norway, who lost their ship, so on land they fought together with the GJ and allowed to wear the edelweiss.

Carles

Comment

no aufklärungs unit numbered 2 existed that was allowed to wear the edelweiss.

Interestingly, most Aufklärungs abteilungen of the gebirgs divisionen were not actually named 'gebirgs' yet they did wear the edelweiss.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thank you all for your answers...I will pass on this jacket.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X