Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAK Panzer soldier's name query...

Hi all,

I am wondering (hoping) that some one may be able to assist me with the name of a particular Panzer soldier who served in north Africa.

I have a wonderful DAK cap with this particular soldier's name sewn inside the cap itself, and as the cap is a lovely early LAGO Berlin cap, made either in 1940 or early 1941, I am guessing the soldier was possibly attached to either of the early Panzer Regiments, Panzer Regiment 5, which arrived in Africa in March 1941, or Panzer Regiment 8, and they arrived in May of 1941.

The soldier's name is Otto Bernicke.

Of course there is a chance he served as a Panzer Jaeger, but the wear to the cap suggests he was part of a tank crew.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully some one may be able to assist me in my quest.

Very best wishes

Cheers

Bob

Here is the name tag inside the cap....

Thanks

Bob

Comment

And the cap itself...

Comment

Hi Bob

Unfortunately I cannot help with info on the soldier but I want to congratulate you on a fantastic cap. I was waiting to see pictures after your initial post. It does not get much better than that.

Barry

Comment

Thanks Barry, yeah I have chased one for a long time, so it is a great Christmas present

I hope there is some way to be able to find some info on the soldier, fingers crossed....

Cheers

Bob

Comment

cap

A very nice cap you have there. I wouldn't discount the possibility that the owner may have been in an infantry roll as two vets in different units I knew actually wore pink piping (emphasis on PANZER Grenadier?) during their time as foot sloggers in Africa, one early on and one in 1942-43 and taken prisoner. I have two sets of the latter's pink-piped shoulder straps.

Comment

At least he was not KIA - the Volksbund lists "only" 2 killed Otto Bernickes, both rest in russia.

Comment

Heaps of thanks for the replies, pauke .... an interesting theory, I do still think he was probably part of a tank crew because of the grease and grime on the cap, but only me guessing, no hard evidence to support it, .... and Gran Sasso, thanks too, comforting to know that he survived his time in Africa and hopefully he managed a long and decent life post-war.

I really appreciate you guys for reading my post, and to take the time and effort to do some research on my behalf.

Thanks again,

Best wishes

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X