Gebirgspio. Btl 54 bzw, Geb.J.Ers 98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebirgspio. Btl 54 bzw, Geb.J.Ers 98

I was just wondering whether this batallion attached to 1.st Geb.J Div. did pass through Albania during the retreat of '43 and '44. Any info is welcome. Thanks beforehand

Anybody

Comment

The 1st Mountain Division was comprised of the 98th & 99th Regts, 79th Artillery Rgt, 54th Cyclist Bn, 54th Anti-Tank Bn, 54th Engr Bn, and the 54th Signal Bn. In March 1943 the 1st Mountain Div was in Northern Greece and was later sent to the Greco-Albanian Frontier. It was subsequently posted to Serbia and Montenegro. The Division was fighting south of Belgrade in October 1944 and ended the war as part of Army Group South in Styria surrendering to the Russians in 1945. Bill

Here is a Pic of a Gebirgsjaeger Pioneer in March 1943
      Attached Files
      Last edited by W Petz; 10-26-2004, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Here is a page on the early history of the unit out of a Photo album I have.

Comment

That's a lot of great info Bill, thank you so much for the hassle

Comment

Where did you get the first picture by the way?

Comment

It came with the photo album...unfortnately someone picked the album almost clean..I found it in an Antique store in Heidelberg. Bill

Comment

Wow Bill,

nice photo!!!

All the best
                Yannis

Comment

Hey Yannis,

Does the old gent bumming a cigarette from the Mountain Trooper look Greek to you???? - Bill

Comment

Bill

Can you do an enlarged scan of the soldier in the first photo?

Am i seeing things or isn't there a breast pocket on his jacket?
                    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz
                      Hey Yannis,

Does the old gent bumming a cigarette from the Mountain Trooper look Greek to you???? - Bill
                      Bill

close but no cigar!
                      I think he is one of our northern neighbours, my guess would be Montenegro but perhaps Albanian.

All the best
                      Yannis

Comment

Simon,

It appears that he doesn't have a breast pocket on his tunic. - Bill
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Yannis
                          Bill

close but no cigar!
                          I think he is one of our northern neighbours, my guess would be Montenegro but perhaps Albanian.

All the best
                          Yannis
                          I second to that, however I don't believe he would be an Albanian, to me he seems more like that minority of slav Macedonians.

Comment

Thanks Bill

I'll go out on a limb here, what about that being a luftwaffe soldier? Perhaps a unit attached to or in the same area as 1 GJ?

It wouldn't be the first time i've seen LW personnel wearing the edelweiss
                            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Simon,

I don't think so...you can see that he has Heer insignia on his collar and more than likely he is wearing a drillich tunic without upper pockets. This photo came out of a Gebj Pioneer 54 photo album. I don't think they had Luftwaffe Gebj in the Greco-Albania area and not likely with this particular unit. Bill

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X