Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebirgsjäger Units on Kreta

Hi,

i would like to know which Gebirgsjäger Units where on Kreta?
    I got a lot from a GJ in the Geb.Art.Rgt.118 and he saw action there (got the Ärmelband too).
    I thought there were only the 5th there? Also the 6th?

Elements of the 6th were present. Parts of GJR 141, 143 and GAR 118.

Which battery was your guy in?
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

6th battery

Comment

Hi!

The following units of 6. GD were part of the Crete-operations:

I. / GJR 141
        III. / GJR 141
        II. / GJR 143

II. / Gebirgs-Artillerie-Regiment 118 (6. Batterie was part of this Abteilung).

Kind regards,

Peter

Comment

Here's a couple of examples from my collection, GJR 143 had yet another variation to the style.

By the way, the reason I asked about which battery is because almost the entire 4th battery mutinied on the 8th May 1945, murdering their two officers and most making it to Sweden. 11 were captured and the 4 NCOs amongst them executed on the 10th May, 2 of them were Kreta veterans.
          Attached Files
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
            Here's a couple of examples from my collection, GJR 143 had yet another variation to the style.

By the way, the reason I asked about which battery is because almost the entire 4th battery mutinied on the 8th May 1945, murdering their two officers and most making it to Sweden. 11 were captured and the 4 NCOs amongst them executed on the 10th May, 2 of them were Kreta veterans.
            Wow, Simon! I never heard that before, very interesting! And very nice docs, by the way!

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Maybe you are aware maybe not..at least 2 dozen of these never got to Kreta with there GBJ troops..killed in the Med..Billbert "To reinforce their foothold on Crete, they had organised two flotillas of commandeered Greek caiques and small coastal steamers to transport arms and supplies to their troops on the island. Each vessel carried about 100 German Mountain Troops and a few Italian marines in addition to the equipment aboard. The first of the two convoys which had made its way from Piraeus to Milos, set off on the final seventy mile journey to Crete in the early hours of 21st May."

Comment

l./Geb. Jäg. Regt.100 also took part in the invasion of Crete (Kreta) if you are really interested in getting an in-depth account of the conquest of Kreta try to get hold of a wartime book "Gebirgsjäger auf Kreta" commissioned by General Ringel

Comment

Originally posted by peterm View Post
                  Wow, Simon! I never heard that before, very interesting! And very nice docs, by the way!

Kind regards, Peter

The main excuse given for the mutiny was in fact Austria or some Austrians claiming the country was no longer part of the Greater Reich and thus were no longer in the war. Some hardliners in Norway thought they should carry on the fight, it came to nothing of course, but caused confusion and uncertainty during the period of the actual surrender.
                  I have copies of all the Court Martial documents, they make for tragic reading.

http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-42853993.html

Comment

Thanks for this additional information, Simon!

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Hi Simon,

you have some great Ärmelband Kreta Urkunden

I think that my guy continued the war since he got the Lapplandschild too.

My Urkunde is signed by Hofert too, do you have any info about him?

Thank you guys for your replys

Comment

Could you show us the group?

I'm afraid I can't tell you much more about Major Dr. Richard Hofert except he commanded the regiment from sometime in 1943 to sometime in 1944.

Here's Hirtl on the left, both men wearing their Kreta cufftitles. Photo taken either in the winter of 44 (Liza front) or 45 (Lyngen stellung)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X