X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oberst Kurt-Erich Frhr von Boenigk

Guys,

Anyone any ideas on above named Col?

I can find an A General Oskar Frhr von Boenigk.

I guess they are related somehow since I can't imagine it is avery common name.

I have just got a bunch of Prisoner Feldpost from a UK camp going to his wife I presume (Frei frau von Boenigk).

His prisoner number is A569572 and he was detained at 2224PW Camp GB?

Any direction gratefully received.

Cheers

Jock

In the internet I found a Kurt-Erich Freiherr von Boenigk born 1888. That's all in the moment.

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
      In the internet I found a Kurt-Erich Freiherr von Boenigk born 1888. That's all in the moment.

Gerdan
      Gerdan,

Many thanks for looking, he must be quite obscure if you can't get him!

He was quite old then, even at the start of the war so I suppose he could have been in a reservist/second line role?!

I just thought that being from a posh family that it would be easy to find him, wrong again, not new for me though....

Thanks again!

Jock

Comment

Hello,

An Oberst Freiherr von Boenigk is listed in the DAL S of 01.05.1944. He was promoted Oberst (E) on 01.04.1942 (40) and serve in Stab of Wehrersatz-Inspektion Dresden

Regards
        Rudolf

Comment

Rudolf,

Showing my ignorance what is DAL, is it a promotions list?

Thanks for your help.

Jock

Comment

They are service seniority lists.

Just a note, the appointments listed in the '44 list mentioned above refer to the officer's posting at the outbreak of war rather than his current (44) posting.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

DAL is short for Dienstaltersliste. Seniority list, as Simon O. said.

Kurt-Erich Sylvius Hans Freiherr von Boenigk. Born 26 April 1888 in Straßburg in Elsaß as the son of Gen.d.Inf. Oscar Freiherr von Boenigk.

He entered the Army out of the Hauptkadettenanstalt on 28.2.1907 as a Fähnrich in Kaiser Franz Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 2 (GGR 2). He was promoted to Leutnant on 27.1.08, with his Patent backdated to 22.6.06. From 1.10.1911 to 7.8.1914, he was commanded as Adjutant to Bezirkskommando Coesfeld.

After mobilization, he returned to his regiment and went into the field on 10.8.1914. He was promoted to Oberleutnant on 8.11.14 and wounded three days later at St. Quentin, losing his right eye to a shell fragment on 11.11.14. After hospitalization from 12.11.1914 to 15.5.1915, he was commanded to the Kriegsministerium in Berlin. He returned to the Ersatz-Bataillon of GGR 2 on 2.7.1915, and was named Adjutant of the Inspektion der immobilen Garde-Infanterie on 1.9.1915. He was promoted to Hauptmann on 18.12.15.

On 22.2.1916 he returned to the front at Verdun as Adjutant of the Generalkommando des X.Reservekorps. On 30.6.1916 he was named as Platzmajor of Brussels in the General-Gouvernement von Belgien. On 23.11.1916 he became Adjutant of Armee-Oberkommando 1. He remained with AOK 1 on the Western Front for the rest of the war.

On 7.12.1918 he was assigned as Leiter of the Demob.-Stab of AOK 1. On 18.1.1919, he left his position as Adjutant of AOK 1 and returned to the control of GGR 2, while remaining head of the demobilization staff. On 20.2.1919 he became Adjutant of the 4. Garde-Infanterie-Brigade. He was discharged from the Army on 20.7.1920.

He returned to the Army in 1935 as an Ergänzungs-Offizier. After a few months' Probedienst, he was activated on 1.8.1935 with effect from 1.5.1935 as a Hauptmann (E). He was given a rank and pay seniority date (RDA & BDA) of 1.6.29. He was then immediately promoted to Major (E) with RDA and BDA of 1.8.35. He was assigned to Wehrersatz-Inspektion Bremen. On 1.7.1938, he was named a Gruppenleiter in WEI Bremen, and remained in that position. Age and one eye probably rendered him non-deployable to the front.

He was promoted to Oberstleutnant on 1.3.40. No entries in his file after that (I think a page was missing), but I would assume he is Rudolf's Oberst on 1.4.42.

Decorations:

2.12.08 - Austro-Hungarian Inhaber Jubilee Medal
              14.10.14 - 1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class
              31.7.15 - Austro-Hungarian Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration
              4.8.15 - 1914 Iron Cross 1st Class
              14.11.16 - Saxe-Meiningen Honor Cross for Merit in War
              26.6.18 - Wound Badge in Black
              3.7.36 - Wound Badge in Silver
              2.10.36 - Wehrmacht long service awards 4th and 3rd Class
              20.4.41 - War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords
              30.1.43 - War Merit Cross 1st Class with Swords

Note the wound badges. In the Imperial Army, one wound was one wound, so he only got the black wound badge. As I understand it, in the Third Reich, retroactive upgrades were made to those whose wounds involved loss of a limb or, in Frhr. v. Boenigk's case, loss of an eye.

Regards,
              Dave

Comment

Guys,

I would like to thank you all for your input.

Dave that is an impresive 1st war career he had (what is your source of such detail may I ask).

His appointment in the Bremen area in the 2nd war amounts to a home posting since his home address is Bremen on the PW mail.

Like you say probably due to his injuries.

Many Thanks again.

Jock

Comment

Originally posted by Jock Auld View Post
                  Dave that is an impresive 1st war career he had (what is your source of such detail may I ask).
                  I've been reviewing Wehrmacht personnel files of officers who served in World War I. Other than the ones that made general, most, like Boenigk, were too old for the front and served on WEI and WBK staffs, as WMA leaders, and the like. But a fair number did make it to the front (and a fair number did not make it back).

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Danner View Post
                    I've been reviewing Wehrmacht personnel files of officers who served in World War I. Other than the ones that made general, most, like Boenigk, were too old for the front and served on WEI and WBK staffs, as WMA leaders, and the like. But a fair number did make it to the front (and a fair number did not make it back).

Dave
                    Dave,

Thanks again for your help.

Where are you revewing these files are they online or is it a private source?

Jock

Comment

Originally posted by Jock Auld View Post
                      Dave,

Thanks again for your help.

Where are you revewing these files are they online or is it a private source?

Jock
                      Neither. They are on microfilm at the US National Archives.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Danner View Post
                        Neither. They are on microfilm at the US National Archives.
                        Dave,

In that case very many thanks since I have read that you would normaly have to pay for such assistance.

If you are in Germany (Hannover area), beer is on me.

Jock

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X