IR 122, photo album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR 122, photo album

Hi guys, I got this photo album awhile back, and I was curious about the man who took the photos. The family that I bought it from would only tell me that he had won an Iron Cross First Class, but nothing more. I was told this was for a man in the 122 IR, and here's a photo that shows the 50th ID symbol on a wagon, so I think that's probably accurate.

My question is in the next set of photos he mentions "Mein 1. (mot.) Spähtrüpp im Ostfeldzeug, gemeinsam mit Ober. Helmich." which makes me wonder what position this man held. Who would feel comfortable saying "My 1st motorized reconnaissance patrol."? Am I reading too much into this man's words or is this a high ranking Infanterie Offizier? Is it possible to research an "Oberst Helmich"?
    Attached Files

more
    Attached Files

Comment

re IR 122

Hi, The text reads Oblt or Oberleutnant Helmich. There is a Leutnant Helmich showing in the 1939 Army Ranklist in Grenz-Infantrie Regiment 122 which will be your man. He is listed at the rank of Leutnant 01-01-1938.

Comment

Originally posted by doomtown View Post
        Who would feel comfortable saying "My 1st motorized reconnaissance patrol."?
        If you were a young soldier and this was your first recon mission, how would you say it? "My first motorised recon patrol" is exactly the way any first-timer would put it.

Comment

Monty: thanks for the research! I had "Oberst" on the brain due to a restoration I'm planning, thanks for the correction and confirmation of this being the IR 122.

Jmark: thanks for the response, and I can see your point. I feel like I personally would say "our", but that's just me, haha. He certainly is excited about everything else and notes everything with enthusiasm, so I think you might be right, he's just a grünschnabel who's excited during the opening days of Barbarossa.

Comment

1939 listing

Here is the 1939 Heer listing
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X