Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS-Obersturmführer Heinz Scheffler

Dear Sirs,

I m trying my best to research Division, units, the military history of my grandfather

Heinz Scheffler, born 14.10.1909 in Pirmasens and missed since 08.01.45 in Mittelabschnitt (Russia). Feldpost Nr.: 15860 & 26752B.

My Feldpost no. research via www.stampsx.com found only Feldpost no. 15860 indicating 3. Kompanie Radfahr-Sicherungs-Batillon 75 - but without linking the Feldpost no. in question to Heinz Scheffler - for the 2nd Feldpost no. nothing could be found. Via "Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgäberfürsorge" I found out that he lies on the recently in 2012 inaugurated soldier cimetery Duchowschtina (Mittelabschnitt Russia). Research via the "Bundesarchiv Berlin" including BDC (Berlin document Center) and the "NS-Archiv Ministerium f. Staatssicherheit DDR" turned out negativ. Newly I arranged a search via "Deutsche Dienststelle Berlin/ Wast" (dd-wast.de) but it will take them up to 8-10 months to answer and their documentation is mostly Wehrmacht related, only a very few SS-archives seem to be available. They stated that most of the SS-related docu has been carried away by the allies and never turned back. The only available uniformed pic of Heinz Scheffler shows a Allgemeine SS-uniform and the rank of Obersturmführer. His wife, my grandmother destroyed at the end of the war all other docus. From the 3 available Feldpost letters ex-Poland and Russia I can more or less guess his way through the Mittelabschnitt, where basicly the SS-divisions "Das Reich" & "Totenkopf" seemed to be active.

If any of you could help me here and recopile his data, of course also against payment, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Historix

I found this information

Feldpostnummer 15860
    (Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) 3. Kompanie Bau-Bataillon 143,
    (1.2.1941-11.7.1941) 3. Kompanie Wach-Bataillon 143, dann 3. Kompanie
    Radfahr-Wach-Bataillon 143,
    (25.1.1943-31.7.1943) 3. Kompanie Radfahr-Sicherungs-Bataillon 757,
    (1.8.1943-23.3.1944) 15.2.1944 3. Kompanie Sicherungs-Bataillon 757.

Gerdan

Comment

The other Feldpostnummer you are looking for is this

Feldpostnummer 26752

(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) Regimentsstab Infanterie-Regiment 55,

(31.7.1942-9.2.1943) Regimentsstab (= A) u. Stabskompanie (= B) Grenadier-Regiment 55,

(10.11.1944-Kriegsende) 17.4.1945 gestrichen.

Gerdan

Comment

SS-Obersturmführer Heinz Scheffler

Hi Gerdan,

thanks a lot for your very gentle interesting investigation about my grandfather!! It is really a challenging puzzle I am trying to put together ...
        The only uniformed portrait pic I have of Heinz Scheffler must be from 1937/1938 in Allgemeine SS-uniform shirt with only 1 shoulder-board and the Kragenspiegel of Obersturmführer. Do you think it is possible to link your info and deduce from it if he finally belonged to the Waffen-SS (as many of the initially Allgemeine-SS soldiers)? Or deduct if he perhaps was in "Das Reich" or "Totenkopf", who both acted in this Mittelabschnitt-Weichsel area?

In any case, thanks a lot for your time & input. I am german, living in Barcelona and I would like to invite you for a beer if you pass by in the future to this beautiful city!

Comment

Historix,

I also like beer and sunny Spain, so I took a crack at your SS project as well.

Unfortuately, the US National Archvies does not have an SS file on your grandfather. This is not surprising considering your response from BA, whose collections are nearly identical to NARA's, but there are still some other research opportunities.

Firstly, can you post here, or perhaps send me, a copy of the image you referenced? Also, can you provide his complete name just to eliminate the small possibility he might be "Karl-Heinz" etc., instead of Heinz? I think your project requires a look in the NSDAP records, at least to confirm the bio data, but also to see where the project leads.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike

Comment

Hi MJC,

thank s a lot for your interest & engagement!! Of course the cold beer & paella invitation in Barcelona would be a pleasure for me to offer you as well!

Pls see encl. foto. My grandfathers full name is "Heinz Scheffler", born 14.10.1909 in Primasens and missed since January 8, 1945 somewhere near the "Weichselbogen" / Mittelabschnitt (Poland-Russia).

When I read the previous post reply from the german colleague I am surprised that all the units linked to his 2 Feldpost no. are Wehrmacht units and we know from our dead grandma, Heinz Schefflers wife, that he was in the SS, as shows his portrait photo. This seems to be a contradicition .... Also the actual german Wehrmacht authorities claim to have no track about him ....

Let s see what you/your colleagues are able to trigger out in this exciting puzzle.

Best rgds to the beautiful East Coast,

Alex
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X