Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen SS in Emden, germany, may 1945

Hallo!

I need you help trying to find which were the units of Waffen SS fighting near Emden (north germany, near the border with Holland) in May 1945.

Around Emden area there was the 1st Canadian Army of gen. Crerar..

See map attached.

Thank you very much!
    Attached Files

Hi Argan,

That's a hard nut to crack. I've been searching for you for over 2 hours with no results. I found out that the units that found against the Canadians during the battle of Delfzijl and Emden where, Kriegsmarine, SS, NSB, Dutch collebarators, Flak units (there was alot of FlaK in that area) and Luftwaffe (7th and 8th Parachute Divisions).
    But no unit names. I just send an email to the Bunkermuseum in Emden so I am waiting for there reply.

I'll keep you posted!

Regards

Erwin
    Last edited by MG-Freak; 12-21-2012, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MG-Freak View Post
      Hi Argan,

That's a hard nut to crack. I've been searching for you for over 2 hours with no results. I found out that the units that found against the Canadians during the battle of Delfzijl and Emden where, Kriegsmarine, SS, NSB, Dutch collebarators, Flak units (there was alot of FlaK in that area) and Luftwaffe (7th and 8th Parachute Divisions).
      But no unit names. I just send an email to the Bunkermuseum in Emden so I am waiting for there reply.

I'll keep you posted!

Regards

Erwin
      Thank you very much Erwin!

I hope you will receive a reply from the museum!
      Very kind from you to keep me posted,

Have a nice day!

Argan

Comment

Hi Argan.

I got an answer from the Bunkermuseum in Emden, but not the one I hoped for. Sorry.

Dear mr. Erwin,

Thank you for your request. Unfortunately the Bunkermuseum does not possess
        any information which would be an answer to your question. I suggest you
        start a research in German and Canadian military archives.

Sincerely,

Hendrik Wiedmann
        Secretary

Comment

hallo Erwin!

thank you anyway for your interest!

It's a pitty.. so I have to start a difficult research..!

have a nice day!

Argan

Comment

Hello Argan,

The Canadian Army Official History makes no mention of Waffen SS forces in the 1st Cdn Army's final drive into the Emden-Wilhelmshaven Peninsula. German forces were predominately from the 2nd Fallschirmjaeger Korps (7th and 8th FJ Divisions; KG "Gericke") with the 86th Korps (471st and 490th Inf Divisions) on the flank. Most unit after action reports speak of engagements with "paras" and "marines" (naval personnel now employed as infantry - who were reported to have fought well). The Division that cleared the Leer-Loga defences and then drove to Emden-Aurich was the 3d Canadian Infantry Division.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Comment

Hi Argan,

....... I've been searching for you for over 2 hours with no results. I found out that the units that found against the Canadians during the battle of Delfzijl and Emden where, Kriegsmarine, SS, NSB, Dutch collebarators, Flak units (there was alot of FlaK in that area) and Luftwaffe (7th and 8th Parachute Divisions).
              But no unit names........

I'll keep you posted!

Regards

Erwin
              Hallo Mike!
              I quote what Erwin wrote me.. see below.
              He says that he found the presence of various forsec, includins WSS. I don't know where did he find this.. May I know, Erwin, what is your source for this news?
              I'm very interested in the presence or not of WSS forces in Emden area.. or also near Emden.

Thank you all!

Comment

Hi Argan (and Mike)

I got the info from a PDF file of an eyewitness report. I have to look it up again. The thing with an eywitness report is.........is it 100% waterproof (like we say in Holland)

Comment

Hi Argan (and Mike)

I got the info from a PDF file of an eyewitness report. I have to look it up again. The thing with an eywitness report is.........is it 100% waterproof (like we say in Holland)
                  Thank you!
                  Very happy if you will insert it in this thread!

All the best!

Comment

Hi,

I found some info, perhaps useful.

in December 1944, in the area of Arnhem there was the Heeresgruppe H, with LXXXVIII Armeekorp, including 15.Armee, 25.Armee and 1.Fallschirmarmee.

According to Lexikon der Wehrmacht, at that time the 15.Armee was formed also by the 10.SS-Panzer-Division Frundsberg.

Emden is about 80 miles far from Arnhem..

Opinions?

Comment

In January 1945, the 10th SS-panzer-Division Frundsberg moved east and was caught up in the final battles against the Red Army. The only W-SS divisions in the west in the spring of 1945 were the 6th and 17th - and they were far from Emden.

If W-SS were fighting near Emden in late April-May 1945, then they were likely depot/replacement forces.

Mike

Comment

In the last days parts of SS A.u.E. Btl. were trained at Nienburg Weser and saw combat during the last days in that region , but thats a few Kilometeres south from Emden.

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich66 View Post
                          In the last days parts of SS A.u.E. Btl. were trained at Nienburg Weser and saw combat during the last days in that region , but thats a few Kilometeres south from Emden.
                          Thank you for your info.

Do you mean the SS A.u.E. Btl. 12 ?
                          it was the one trained in Arnhem..

Comment

Yes, parts of this unit saw heavy battles in the area around Verden/Walsrode.

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich66 View Post
                              Yes, parts of this unit saw heavy battles in the area around Verden/Walsrode.
                              Thank you!

So we can resume that the SS unit that saw battle against british troops in the first months of 1945, in this northern area of germany, might be the SS A.u.E. Btl.12 ?
                              Other possible units?

I put a thread in SS section of this forum, named "SS decal".
                              Inside there are pictures of a SS M40 helmet with handwritten "Emden Germany, Mai 1945" in the leather.
                              Also "Emden 1944" engraved in the inner.

A follower of this forum suggested that "Mai" is written in french language, and the other words are in english. So, it might be taken by a Canadian-british soldier of french language.
                              Considering that: Emden is in north germany, it was in the area were the 1st Canadian Army of Gen. Crearer fought at the end of the war, according to me there is an interesting history behind it..

thank you all!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X