X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st SS Knittel in the battle of the bulge Dec 44

hello,
    during the battle of the Bulge Ardennes 44 Dec
    Knittel who was leading the 1 SS fought toghether with the SS troops of Peiper
    we are looking yet if the 1SS was divided in several other units
    and what was their symbol that they used to paint on their trucks or tanks if they had
    also personal signs are fine
    another question is what type of camo did that unit used
    i was told they had a 3 camoflage cheme
    ral 7028 sand yellow
    ral 6003 olive green
    ral 8017 red brown
    i am looking for pictures where you can see that sort of camo
    any tips advice would be welcome
    thanks in advance
    phil

Supposing that by "leading" you mean spearheaded, you are slightly misinformed.

Kampfgruppe Knittel, also known as Schnelle Gruppe Knittel (fast group Knittel) received orders to stay behind the two leading Kampfgruppen, the one from SS-Panzer-Regiment 1 (Peiper) and the one from SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 1 (Hansen), without enemy contact until the northern exit of the Hohen Venn. After that they had to take in a quick thrust, by avoiding all villages and enemy resistance, one of the Meuse bridges south of Liège, in order to allow the rest of the LAH to cross the river. the Kampfgruppe from SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 1 (Sandig) followed as reserve.

The Aufklärungsabteilung was the usual candidate for such a task, because (on paper) they are equipped with light but fast vehicles.

Off course this was just the plan. They stayed behind Peiper and Hansen untill December 18, then Mohnke ordered Knittel to follow Peiper, who had managed to break through in the direction of La Gleize. But after that, Knittel, instead of making a run for the Meuse, was send back to Stavelot from La Gleize by Peiper on December 19 after American troops had recaptured Stavelot, which meant that the supply route of the LAH troops west of the Amblève River was cut. Unable to perform this task, due to dominating American artillery and increasing pressure from American tank units, Kampfgruppe Knittel withdrew, together with Peipers force, to the eastern bank of the Amblève on December 25.

There were no markings on the vehicles of KG Knittel, just the license plates with the sigrune painted over to hide them. As for camo patterns, the two volumes of "Duel in the Mist" by Haasler, Weber, Vosters a.o. are the definite source for that info.

Most if not all info you ask for can be googled.

Originally posted by spaltring View Post
    hello,
    during the battle of the Bulge Ardennes 44 Dec
    Knittel who was leading the 1 SS fought toghether with the SS troops of Peiper
    we are looking yet if the 1SS was divided in several other units
    and what was their symbol that they used to paint on their trucks or tanks if they had
    also personal signs are fine
    another question is what type of camo did that unit used
    i was told they had a 3 camoflage cheme
    ral 7028 sand yellow
    ral 6003 olive green
    ral 8017 red brown
    i am looking for pictures where you can see that sort of camo
    any tips advice would be welcome
    thanks in advance
    phil

Comment

Knittel

thanks for your writing, interesting stuff
      i was told that peiper "s unit abandoned their tanks and made their way back to their lines by walking
      what abiut Knittels men?
      knittel was from 1st SS div but was this also divided into other units?(abteilungen ?)
      whas there any reason for not having a symbol painted on theit vehicles?coz most units had theirs painted onto their veh.
      kind regards
      phil

Comment

i was told that peiper "s unit abandoned their tanks and made their way back to their lines by walking what abiut Knittels men?
        When Stavelot was recaptured by the Americans on December 18, the approx. 1200 men of SG Knittel had been divided into two parts. Approx. 450 men west of Stavelot under Knittel, the rest east of it, was reassigned to Sandig. The men under Knittel pulled back on Wanne in the early morning of December 25. Most of their vehicles had already been in Wanne since December 20, parked out of reach of the American artillery.
        knittel was from 1st SS div but was this also divided into other units?(abteilungen ?)
        The Leibstandarte had two infantry regiments, a tank regiment, an artillery regiment, an engineer battalion, a recc battalion, a Panzerjäger battalion, a Flak battalion, etc. From these elements the Kampfgruppen Peiper, Hansen, Sandig and Schnelle Gruppe Knittel were formed. SG Knittel was formed with his recce battalion, one company from the engineer battalion and one battery from the artillery regiment.
        whas there any reason for not having a symbol painted on theit vehicles?coz most units had theirs painted onto their veh.
        kind regards
        Yes, the Germans tried to keep the build-up of troops in the Blankenheim-area prior to the Ardennes Offensive a secret as long as possible. For that reason unit symbols had to be removed from vehicles and this included the Sigrune on the license plates.

Phil, I take it that you speak French. May I suggest: "Kampfgruppe Knittel L'odyssee de la SS-Aufklarungs-Abteilung 1" by Mattieu Longue (ISBN 2840482754). Despite various errors it is by far the most detailed account of SG Knittel in the French language.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but Phil, if you're still on, you might want to check out the recent book Career, Crimes and Trial of SS-Sturmbannführer Gustav Knittel There's a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/gustavknittel/
          and here is one place the book can be ordered from http://www.aberdeenbookstore.com/boo...ngsabteilung-l

The most authoritative work on Knittel and his unit.

Best,
          Greg
          sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
          www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

For any questions regarding Knittel I recommend the books Duel in the Mist. There is curently nothing more detailed informations about the 1st SS during the Ardennes.

Comment

Originally posted by hoover View Post
              For any questions regarding Knittel I recommend the books Duel in the Mist. There is curently nothing more detailed informations about the 1st SS during the Ardennes.
              Have you read my book?

Comment

Originally posted by hoover View Post
                I think you'll find there is

As Timo hsa said you need to purchase his book on Knittel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X