Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westland Signature?

Hello Gents

Can somebody read the signature from this ss Hauptsturmfuhrer? Apperently he commanded the 9 kompanie from SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment 10 Westland on 6 november 1940.

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Regards

Erwin
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Erwin L View Post
    Hello Gents

Can somebody read the signature from this ss Hauptsturmfuhrer? Apperently he commanded the 9 kompanie from SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment 10 Westland on 6 november 1940.

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Regards

Erwin

Erwin,

I believe it's SS-Hauptsturmführer Oskar Steinert.

Rob

Comment

That could be but i can't figure out the capital "S" from Steinert. I also found a Paul Kleinert as a SS-Obersturmführer and Kp.Chef from the 9th kompanie till 19 december 1942. Signature is from a Haupsturmführer. He could be promoted afterwards and ended as an Obersturmführer. I could be wrong but would like to hear some other opinions.

There was also a SS-Hauptsturmführer Fritz Steinert. He was III bataillon commander at the end of 1940 if i'm right.

Regards

Erwin
      Last edited by Erwin L; 11-11-2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I also found a Paul Kleinert as a SS-Obersturmführer and Kp.Chef from the 9th kompanie till 19 december 1942. Signature is from a Haupsturmführer. He could be promoted afterwards and ended as an Obersturmführer. I could be wrong but would like to hear some other opinions.

Erwin

Erwin,

SS-Obersturmführer as of December 1942? Unless he was demoted it can't be Kleinert; SS-Hauptsturmführer is a higher rank than SS-Obersturmführer (the ranks go SS-Untersturmführer, SS-Obersturmführer, SS-Hauptsturmführer)

That could be but i can't figure out the capital "S" from Steinert.
        Believe me, it's Steinert
        Attached Files

Comment

Fritz Steinert (SS# 93 538), previously led a Sturmbann with the 15.SS-Totenkopfstandarte. He commanded the III./Westland, later German Cross in Gold posthumously on December 8, 1942. Entered SS as an Obersturmführer, Hauptsturmführer January 30, 1939, Sturmbannführer November 9, 1941.

You''ll love this: was taking a break from working on volume 8 ("Wiking" part II) of my SS/Polizei German Cross in Gold and happened to see the post. My break was from working on his biography

Note: there is an area for signature and photo ID in the Documents/Photos section
          Last edited by Mark C. Yerger; 11-12-2012, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer Rob View Post
            Erwin,

SS-Obersturmführer as of December 1942? Unless he was demoted it can't be Kleinert; SS-Hauptsturmführer is a higher rank than SS-Obersturmführer (the ranks go SS-Untersturmführer, SS-Obersturmführer, SS-Hauptsturmführer)
            Rob,

I understand it about the ranks. I had found a list with Westland officers. Hauptsturmfuhrer Fritz Steinert and Obersturmfuhrer Paul Kleinert were mentioned both in III/ss pz. gren. Regt. 10 Westland list. Fritz Steinert as III Bataillon commander and Paul Kleinert as commander from the 9th kompanie. He was mentioned as a Obersturmfuhrer so he would be " promoted" downwards when he signed it as a Hauptsturmfuhrer. Perhaps i had better typed "promoted" in my other reply. Fritz Steinert was a Haupsturmfuhrer but listed as the III bataillon commander. It could be that he commanded the 9 kompanie once. Steinert and Kleinert have the last 6 letters in common and only the first two are different.

[/QUOTE]Believe me, it's Steinert [/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if there is an Oskar Steinert like you mentioned in the list. So is the signature from yours from an Oskar Steinert or could it be from Fritz Steinert? They look identical for sure so i'm convinced. Thanks for posting it.

Regards Erwin

Comment

Believe me, it's Steinert
              The signature is identical Rob and i think it's the signature from Fritz Steinert instead of Oskar Steinert. So I think the signature on your document is also from Fritz Steinert. Oskar Steinert was in the list as an officer from the II/ss pz. gren.Regt. 10 Westland.

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by Mark C. Yerger View Post
                Fritz Steinert (SS# 93 538), previously led a Sturmbann with the 15.SS-Totenkopfstandarte. He commanded the III./Westland, later German Cross in Gold posthumously on December 8, 1942. Entered SS as an Obersturmführer, Hauptsturmführer January 30, 1939, Sturmbannführer November 9, 1941.

You''ll love this: was taking a break from working on volume 8 ("Wiking" part II) of my SS/Polizei German Cross in Gold and happened to see the post. My break was from working on his biography

Note: there is an area for signature and photo ID in the Documents/Photos section
                Hello Mark

Thanks for your input and opinion.

regards

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by Mark C. Yerger View Post
                  Mark-

He was also commander of the 14.(PaK.)/SS-Heimwehr Danzig. A while back I made a post here or on another forum pointing out that most sources - print and web - have Steinert's name - and as a result the Kompanie - incorrectly stated as "Steiner" (without the "t") but the stamp and signature in my Soldbuch confirm it's actually Steinert. I've also seen his first name listed as Josef which is incorrect.

Rob,

I understand it about the ranks. I had found a list with Westland officers. Hauptsturmfuhrer Fritz Steinert and Obersturmfuhrer Paul Kleinert were mentioned both in III/ss pz. gren. Regt. 10 Westland list. Fritz Steinert as III Bataillon commander and Paul Kleinert as commander from the 9th kompanie. He was mentioned as a Obersturmfuhrer so he would be " promoted" downwards when he signed it as a Hauptsturmfuhrer. Perhaps i had better typed "promoted" in my other reply. Fritz Steinert was a Haupsturmfuhrer but listed as the III bataillon commander. It could be that he commanded the 9 kompanie once. Steinert and Kleinert have the last 6 letters in common and only the first two are different.

I'm not sure if there is an Oskar Steinert like you mentioned in the list. So is the signature from yours from an Oskar Steinert or could it be from Fritz Steinert? They look identical for sure so i'm convinced. Thanks for posting it.

Regards Erwin

Erwin-

The signature in my Soldbuch is that of Fritz Steinert, not Oskar. I didn't realize until now that I accidentally wrote Oskar - I of course meant Fritz. I don't know why I wrote Oskar

As you can see it's definitely Steinert, not Kleinert.

Best,
                  Rob

Comment

Erwin-

The signature in my Soldbuch is that of Fritz Steinert, not Oskar. I didn't realize until now that I accidentally wrote Oskar - I of course meant Fritz. I don't know why I wrote Oskar

As you can see it's definitely Steinert, not Kleinert.

Best,
                    Rob
                    Agreed, Fritz Steinert

Erwin

Comment

Agreed, Fritz Steinert

Erwin

Glad I could help
                      Best,
                      Rob

Comment

Hello Mark

Thanks for your input and opinion.

regards

Erwin
                        My opinion, rather facts, are correct. The "Westland" Bataillone were renumbered after the II.Bataillon was dissolved, Steinert's III./Westland being renumbered the II.Bataillon as were the individual Kompanien to match the numerical change. Steinert led the Bataillon from December 1, 1940, until wounded on September 28, 1942.

Comment

Hello Mark

Thanks for your help, explanation and information. I appreciate it very much

Best regards

Erwin

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X