• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe-Kriegsmarine men.

Hello,
    On several photo's I've seen Luftwaffe guys
    who are wearing Kriegsmarine badges.
    There was also a Hauptmann who wore a Pilot/
    Observer badge,EK1,KC and a minesweepers badge.
    Did they won them in the navy or were they on
    board of a ship that came in action that moment?
    The Luftwaffe had some special units on the water,maybe that's a reason?

Hello,
    IMHO, most of time, these soldiers were originally in the LW and were transferred to the KM (or the contrary).
    Here is some exapmles :
    - Kaptlt. Rolf Thomsen was awarded both KC and OL in the KM as C.O. of U-1202. He had previously served in the LW and was entitled to wear the Frontflugspange fur Aufklarer i.G. (awarded 03/26/42)
    - Kurt Dobratz, KC awarded as C.O. of U-1232 and was a former member of the LW (also received the Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhr.abz. on 10/01/35)
    - Ferdinand Hechler, KC awarded as C.O. of U-870 and had already received the Flugzeugführer u. Beobachterabz., as well as the Frontflugspange f. Kampfflieger i.G.
    - Paul Brasack, KC awarded as C.O. of U-737 and had already received the Beobachterabz. (02/28/40), the Frontflugspange f. Kampfflieger i.G. (03/10/41) and the Ehrenpokal (06/24/41).
    However, if this was a definitive rule, it would be too simpler ! There are some exceptions. One of these is :
    - Karl Barth, KC awarded as Oblt. z. See in the 3/KÜSTENFLIEGERGR. 506 and 172nd soldier (this attribution member is internal to LW members !) on 12/14/40 . This guy deceased on 11/09/42 as Hptm. in 6/K.G. 26.
    Thus, Barth was awarded the KC with a KM rank (would suppose that he was consequently a KM member), however, as being a member of a LW unit, his KC attribution number inherits from the LW number list !!
    If you want, I can have a look on his military career to have more details about him and confirm my assumptions.
    Hope this hellps
    Regards
    Denis

Comment

Many members of the Kriegsmarine officer candidate "Crews" were transferred against their wishes to the Luftwaffe around 1937 to make up for anticipated flying personnel shortages. The annual Navy Rank Lists grudgingly still list these officer cadets as naval personnel "commanded to the air force." Most seem to have snuck back into dark blue uniforms. I have seen photos of Uboat officers with pilot badges from their brief career derailments.

Comment

Hello,
        Another good example is the U-boat ace from Drum Beat Rheinhard Hardegan. He wore the Observers badge since he was a member of the Luftwaffe in the 30's. Then a plane crash wrecked his career there-I think.

I can't think of his name (my books are packed) but Hitler had an SS aid, who wore the Destroyers War badge and the Gilt Narvik shield. I have a photo of him taken inside Hitler's bunker during the last days of the war, he is standing in a door way and is wearing a SS panzer uniform and these two awards can be clearly seen on the uniform.
        Regards,
        Jody

Comment

You're right Jody. Besides, if my meory serves, the Narvik Schield that the WSS guy is wearing has a dark (certainly navy blue) backing and it is licated below the SS sleeve eagle (i.e. against regulations)
          Regards
          Denis
          PS : unfortunately I dont remember his name either !

Comment

Jody, Denis

The guy you are trying to remember is Karl Wilhelm Krause, Hitler's personal Aide.

Gordon

Comment

tks Gordon !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X