Florence and Ponte Vecchio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florence and Ponte Vecchio

Im searching for information regarding the situation where the allied general asked the retreating Germans if the could spare the old Ponte Vecchio bridge in 1944.

I would be very thankfull for more information!

The Ponte Vecchio was Adolf Hitler's favourite bridge, so he personally ordered to spare it. Anyway, most of the buildings surrounding it were destroyed and the ruins (that covered the nearby stereets) mined to avoid the bridge to be used for as long as possible.
    I've never heard about an allied general that contacted the germans to save Ponte Vecchio. I don't say it didn't happen, just that even if this happened, it didn't count too much. The bridge was saved mostly by Hitler who ordered to spare it!

This became a good advantage for the Allieds and the italian partisans, as over the bridge runs the "Corridoio Vasariano", a long corridor that connects Palazzo Pitti to the Uffizi Gallery, on the opposite side of the river. This corridor was a rather safe connection between the two sides of the city, and the only available until some Bailey bridges could be placed over the ruins of the old florentine bridges.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironcrown View Post
      The Ponte Vecchio was Adolf Hitler's favourite bridge, so he personally ordered to spare it. Anyway, most of the buildings surrounding it were destroyed and the ruins (that covered the nearby stereets) mined to avoid the bridge to be used for as long as possible.
      I've never heard about an allied general that contacted the germans to save Ponte Vecchio. I don't say it didn't happen, just that even if this happened, it didn't count too much. The bridge was saved mostly by Hitler who ordered to spare it!

This became a good advantage for the Allieds and the italian partisans, as over the bridge runs the "Corridoio Vasariano", a long corridor that connects Palazzo Pitti to the Uffizi Gallery, on the opposite side of the river. This corridor was a rather safe connection between the two sides of the city, and the only available until some Bailey bridges could be placed over the ruins of the old florentine bridges.
      Thanks for the info!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X