Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hauptmann Friedrich Scherer

Gentlemen

have acquired a nice small foto signed of Scherer while with Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 236. I understand he went on to command Stug-Brigade 303 while in Finland.

Does anyone have more biographical informations on the Ritterkreuz award winner and the reason behind his RK award. also his final victory tally if that could be shared.

many thanks

Erich ~

I found this:

"German Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 303 (Ritterkreutzträger Hauptmann Friedrich Scherer) arrives Helsinki from Estonia. The Brigade has 31 StuG IIIg's, StuG IV's and StuH 42's. It's transferred to the region of Tali-Ihantala in Karelian Isthmus."

I think you know it.

Gerdan

Comment

Good luck E~, I will try a little search and let you know if anything comes of it.

Kevin

Comment

Look here E~, Perhaps somthing will be on this site?
        http://www.die-sturmartillerie.com/konv189.htm

Also try searching Fritz Scherer instead of Friedrich as that is the first name listed or used in the RK recipient book Elite of the Third Reich by Fellgiebel.

Kev

Comment

yes the name signed is Fritz actually, thanks guys for the info so far it is slowly getting built up. what I need is the info from the old OP title from Biblio verlag on the RK Stug winners or the volume 2 of Veit Scherzer book on the Sturmartilliere RK winners, of course neither title in my collection ............ yet, ah but Christmas is coming.

any other help appreciated

E ~

Comment

Here is some additional biographic info, sorry for the poor quality.

Mike
            Attached Files

Comment

Mike

thanks much for bio info on his earlier war career.............

E ~

Comment

Hello Eric and all !

I hope the following is still of interest :
                This website has some information and a number of nice pics (one with Scherer and his wife) :
                http://www.hl-barbara.de/index.php/d...rie-brigade236

StuG.Abt. 236 ( with Hptm. Fritz Scherer as Chef 2./236) started its formation in May, 1943 and
                was transferred to the eastern front from July, 15th, 1943 onward, arrived there on July 20th,
                detrained at Amwrosijewka (50 km southeast of Stalino), was committed immediately and saw heavy action
                under the command of the 16. Pz.Gren.Div.
                You can find a lot of details on those fighting and other infos in this post (but only in German, sorry) :
                http://forum.panzer-archiv.de/viewto...=199199#199199

StuG-Abt. 236 remained under the command of 16. Pz.Gren.Div for most of the following month. On 26.8.43 it
                took part in a fierce battle at Isjum, where it shot down about 60 enemy tanks.
                In September/October 1943, the Abteilung suffered high losses, while fighting in the Saporoshje bridgehead.
                After that fighting continued at the Dniepr-salient (at Kriwoi Rog, Nikolajewskaja and other places).

In all these fighting, the StuG-Abt. 236 proved to be an important support to the Grenadiers of 16. Pz.Gren.Div.
                This was acknowledged by the division by proposing Hptm. Fritz Scherer to be awarded with the Ritterkreuz,
                with which he was finally decorated on 14.12.1943.

When the Red Army launched a major attack during the first half of February 1944, StuG-Abt. 236 was able to
                hold a bridgehead at Shirokoie for several important days, but was finally smashed and had to be withdrawn
                soon after for rest and refit at Altengrabow (near Magdeburg).

At some time during the following months, Hptm. Scherer must have been transferred to StuG.Abt. 303.
                (Thanks for the info provided by Gerdan, that leads to an interesting link !):
                http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew....1944/06/23.htm

On StuG-Abt. 303 I have found only few (and conflicting ?!) informations. I do not know how long Hptm. Scherer
                stayed with this unit and what happened to him between 09/44 and 03/45.
                According to AHF he was commander of the Abteilung from 18.6.1944 onward :
                http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...?f=5&p=1385384
                According to Lexicon this happened in July (and until September).
                Another site (which has some interesting details on 303) has this :
                http://www.oocities.org/finnmilpge/fmpg_stug303.html

StuG-Abt. 303 finally ended up in Hungary, fighting under 6. Armee [Tessin].

===================
                Career of Hauptmann Friedrich "Fritz" Scherer :
                13.04.1931 Entering II./Art.Rgt. 5 (Ulm)
                01.08.1935 III./Art.Rgt. 35 (Karlsruhe)
                01.09.1936 Kriegsschule München
                01.11.1937 II./Art.Rgt. 35 (Rastatt)
                09.07.1941 Zugführer StuG-Abt. 185
                20.11.1942 StuG-EuA-Abt. 300 (Neisse)
                17.03.1943 Chef 2. Batterie / StuG-Abteilung 236 (first Jüterbog, then eastern front)
                18.03.1945 Führerreserve OKH (at the same time commanded to an "Abteilungsführer-Lehrgang f. Artillerie"
                [= instruction course for battalion commanders of the artillery branch])

[According to Scherzer, RKT 1939-1945, after 1945 he was also an officer of the Bundeswehr, last rank : Oberstlt. ]

Promotions :
                01.10.1937 Leutnant (238)
                01.02.1942 Oberleutnant (115)
                30.04.1943 Hauptmann (2910) [effective 1.2.1943, RDA 1.1.1943 (338 b1)

[Sources: The websites cited; Thomas,Wegmann: RKT 1939-1945, Vol. 1, Sturmartillerie; Tornau/Kurowski: Sturmartillerie]

Cheers,

Archi

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X