Can anyone offer some advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone offer some advice?

Apolpgies if I have things wrong - this is the first time I've posted to a forum:

I am researching the WWII military career of my Nieces Husbands Grandfather but am unfamiliar with the structure of the wehrmacht. I have found his unit was the 9./Gren.Rgt.47.MOT. but am having trouble understanding/interpreting this. I have recently contacted WAsT requesting his service history (still awaiting a response), but meanwhile would like to find out about where his unit served etc.
    Could anyone offer advice or tips on interpreting the unit designation and finding information on its role?

Many thanks

Derrick

Gren.Rgt.47

Hello to all ; hey Derrick here goes a little info, just to start...........

Your relative belonged to the 9. Company of Grenadier Regiment 47 (Mot=Motorized). This regiment was born when the former IR 47 (Infanterie regiment 47) changed its name in order to boost the morale of the German Infantry. The GR 47 was subordinated to the well known 22 ID (Luftlande=Airborne which carried out the air assault in Netherlands). The IR 47 was raised at Hamburg in WK X. By October 1942 the III./ GR 47 was detached to North Africa from Crete: The III. Battalion landed at Tobruk being subordinated to the 90 Le. ID (DAK). The bulk of the regiment (reinforced with the II./ AR 22) landed at Tunez being attached to the 5 Pz AOK as Kampfgruppe Buhse. Finally on February 16, 1943 the regiment was subordinated to the 21 Pz as Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 47; later on May 1943 it was destroyed in Tunez.

The German regiment had three battalions as follows:

1-4 Coy I. Battalion ( 4 as MG Coy).
    5-8 Coy II. Battalion (8 as MG Coy).
    9-12 Coy III. Battalion (12 as MG Coy).
    13. Coy Infantry Howitzers (support Coy).
    14. Coy Anti-tank.

Sources: http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...enter/IR47.htm
    http://www.afrika-korps.de/index.php?id=421

Did your relative served under the Deutsches Afrika Korps?. Cheers. Raúl M .
    Last edited by tigre; 08-21-2012, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Raul,

many thanks for the swift and informative reply. Not sure if he served under the Afrika Korps, but think most probably he did, and it would tie in with what you have reported - I understand he was at Tobruk and may have become a prisoner of war (there is mention of Camp 380 which is in Egypt)

Unfortunately it's all a little vague and I'm more used to researching the British army, so I'm especially grateful for your help!

Comment

III./ GR 47 in Africa..............

Hello to all ; take a look Derrick....more follows...........

The actions of the III./ GR 47 in North Africa.

Completely unexpected came the Regiment's order: tomorrow morning the III./ GR 47 will be on flight to Africa. The Battalion Commander, Hauptmann Seele, stated "We begin by the number", its meant for the 9th Company immediate orders. After a short night rest, the company was at the airfield of Tatoi, due north of Athens, early next morning; it was October 24, 1942.

Around 12:30 hours the assigned Ju-52 had taken off, leaving the Acropolis, Athens, Greece and Europe behind.........Ahead laid the Aegean sea. After flying scarcely one hour the transport planes landed at Malemes in Crete. Next days followed the bulk of the battalion, with the exception of the 12. Company.

Meanwhile the front in Africa was in motion, the great British offensive against the German Army in Africa had begun. Therefore all the available transport machines were used for replenishment the Armored Army and were over flying mainly fuel for the tanks.

Finally on November 03, 1942 we flew towards the black continent in a bunch of 60 Ju-52. The flight was good and lasted three hours. At 12:35 hours we landed at Tobruk Without accidents.

Source: excerpts from Rudolf Buhse: Aus der Geschichte des Grenadier-Regiments 47, Selbstverlag, 1982.

Cheers. Raúl M .
        Last edited by tigre; 08-26-2012, 06:03 PM. Reason: minors corrections..........

Comment

Thanks again Raul - Thanks to the information in your first reply I've started to make a little headway myself, but am very grateful for the additional information.

Regards

Derrick

Comment

You're welcome . Cheers. Raúl M .

Comment

Hello to all ; more follows...........

The actions of the III./ GR 47 in North Africa.

Our first impression of Africa was dismal to say the least. The battalion occupied an assembly area about 10 kilometrs due East of Tobruk, along the road to El Adem. Apart some motorcycles and the Volkswagen of the Battalion's Commander, the unit had no other vehicles.

After some days came the order issued by the Korück, General Schnarrenberger, stating the battalion was to take part in the fortification of Tobruk and then was to occupy positions in the line.

Hardly the III./ GR 47 could fulfil that order when it was revoked, and the battalion got a new order: the command "trap procedures"; therefore it was to be relocated around 100 kilometers due East of Bengazi. It was almost 400 kilometers. It was an extraordinarily difficult movement in which every soldier had to take every vehicle - loaded or not - and try to move westwards as best as he could. At that time the Battalion had a strength of approximately 900 men.

It was clear, taking in account the vehicles on hand, that not all the men could reach Bengazi or travel westwards. This fact, of course, had to be accepted, because the englishman were approaching and came near.

Source: excerpts from Rudolf Buhse: Aus der Geschichte des Grenadier-Regiments 47, Selbstverlag, 1982.

Cheers. Raúl M .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X