X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help on a Rebus Unit.......

Unit: Batl. " Gneisenau II" in Bln. - Hohenschönhausen

Year: Late April 1945

Any info, help, suggestion will be more than greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance, I wasn't able to find ANYTHING about.....

Originally posted by Tora_Tora_Tora! View Post
    Unit: Batl. " Gneisenau II" in Bln. - Hohenschönhausen

Year: Late April 1945

Any info, help, suggestion will be more than greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance, I wasn't able to find ANYTHING about.....

It might have to do something with the "Gneisenau aufruf".
    During the war, there where differend mobilisation stages, all had code words for them.
    Gneisenau was de code word for large parts of the Ersatz Heer (Germany´s training units/schools) to be mobilised and send to the front.
    It was only for specific soldiers/recruits and part of the training personal, not everyone.
    I´ve read that there where multiple "Gneisenau" calls, in late 1944 and early 1945. It depends on the Wehrkreis i think.
    See attached picture below for an Gneisenau-Aufruf example.

The last code words were in 1945: the "Westgoten" and "Ostgoten" aufruf, in which the whole Ersatz Heer was mobilized (westgoten part went to the westfront and the ostgoten part to the easternfront).
    This basicly meant that everyone that was left was to be mobilised (if possible) and send to the front.

To get back to your original question:
    The "II" behind the word Gneisenau might have to do something with Wehrkreis II.
    But i´m not sure. Berlin was in Wehrkreis III. Wehrkreis II was above Berlin.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Admiraal; 07-30-2012, 06:16 AM.
    I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
    Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
    My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Thank you so much,, Rick, your words fit with my research due the man was 58 years old when he was killed during the Berlin battle at the very end of jr...it was the 28 April 1945.At first I thought that this unit was related to the prison of hoenshunausen and the man was part of the duty guards but probably I am wrong specially because this prison became a real lager during the DDR period...but I willremain with this curiosity...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X