Life insurance for German soldiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life insurance for German soldiers

Does anybody have information about life insurance policies taken out by German soldiers? It's hard to imagine a worse thing for an insurance company to do than insuring a Wehrmacht soldier fighting on the Eastern Front, yet, I've come across a few references – all by officers – that they had life insurance.

On 20 September 1942, one officer wrote to his wife: "The special bulletin [Sondermeldung] from the insurance company makes my heart leap for joy."

No further explanation is provided, unfortunately, but to me, it sounds like this "Sondermeldung" provided coverage in the event of his death.

Thanks in advance
    Jason

Hi Jason,

I will have a look tomorrow, I have quite a few references, letters relating to life insurance. Quite a large group related to the son of General der Infanterie Herbert von Böckmann RKT.

/Ian
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jewison View Post
      Hi Jason,

I will have a look tomorrow, I have quite a few references, letters relating to life insurance. Quite a large group related to the son of General der Infanterie Herbert von Böckmann RKT.

/Ian
      Thanks Ian, that would be a great help.

Jason

Comment

I have at least one life insurance policy to a soldier, but it was issued pre-war.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

I think i read something in a memior about the soldiers family recieving Reichsmarks (i think 50?) when he died. I dont remember exactly but if i find it ill let you know.

Comment

This was inside a wehrpass of a UffZ of the 20 LWFD died in Rimini... seems a letter of his assurance to the family....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X