Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lt Grimm, 2/2 Flak

Hi,
    I hope you could help me. It is several years now that I own this german gasmask. On the rear, there are the following marks :
    "Lt. Grimm" and "2/2" in red (most probably for the flak).

So I was told several years ago that the 2/2 marks were for "2 Bataillon / 2 Flak Company (1943)".
    I would like to know, whether it's possible, some information like the regiment, more info on this Lieutnant Grimm and so on...
    Many thanks
    Christophorus

The most that can be said is the the number refers to the 2 kompanie,batterie or schwadron of an independent abteilung or regiment numbered 2.

More than that i think is speculation. Why do you belive it is connected to a flak unit?
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Simon.
      Several years ago, I was told that these marks corresponded with 2 Bataillon / 2 Flak Company, but the forum in which the member gave me this information is closed, don't know where he found this information, but I think it's a possibility...
      In any case, it's not widespread for soldiers to make red marks, generally it's in white... and the red is the colour of the flak (wehrmacht heer).

So I don't know whether it's possible to learn more about this Grimm.

Kind regards,
      Cédric

Comment

"2./" means second Kompanie or Schwadron.
        I would say he was in the second Kompanie/Schwadron of a Regiment nr. 2.
        I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
        Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
        My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Cedric, whoever told you that was mistaken. As the numbers are the same it hardly matters but German unit designations are written kompanie\batterie etc. first, followed by the regiment or abteilung number. Sometimes, though rarely, you might see the format kompanie\bataillon\regiment, for example 2.\I.\2 but really the battalion number is unnecessary in the case of a regiment as all kompanien are numbered uniquely throughout the regiment.

To connect the paint colour to a branch of service is pure speculation. Red was the colour of the artillery..which included flak. I've seen red,white, yellow and blue paint used for marking equipment.

IF and it's a big IF, it does come from an artillery unit then the most likely would be the 2 Batterie of Artillerie Rgt.2

Rick, the second 2 could equally refer to an abteilung.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Simon, you´re right! It could be an Abteilung as well!
            I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
            Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
            My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

I am very grateful to you, Simon, for your precious help.
              Finally my former informant was mistaken!

I don't know anything about regiments and companies...
              However I think that the use of the red colour hadn't been made at random ; but indeed, for the artillery. It's a possibility.
              All the best,
              Cédric

NB : Thank you Rick for your confirmation

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X