AlsacDirect

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russian Geography - Engagement Location???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russian Geography - Engagement Location???

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, as I've been struggling with this one.

I'm doing research on a KC "Holder" from IR 451 who received his KC for actions during the battle of Rhzev in December 1942.

Exhibit 1 - I have a divisional announcement of the award listing his actions on 8 Dec 1942 at Panowo.

Exhibit 2 - I have a congratulations telegram from men in the AR 251, signed and dated in Panowo-Pustoschka.

The problem is I cannot seem to find this location anywhere near Rhzez, or more specifically, Molodoi Tud, which is where IR 451 was active around that time.

Input would be greatly welcome...Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files

Here you go
    Attached Files
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hi Simon,

Thanks, I have found Molodoy Tud on google maps as well, but I'll be damned if I can find Panowo (Panovo)???

I am guessing it is a small village that is just too small for google maps?

Best,
      John

Comment

Probably not much help but there is a file at NARA that contains morning and evening reports for Jan-Feb 1942 for the 18 Armee for the general area of Pogostje-Koljashka-Kornyljewo-Rutschi-Kelkolowo-Gaitolowo-Rshew-Cholm-Staro-Panowo-Dubrowka-Djagilewo-Orechnowo-Tscherenschitzy.
        I don't have the file but it is listed in the GUIDES TO GERMAN RECORDS MICROFILMED AT ALEXANDRIA, VA. No. 49. Records of German Field Commands: Armies (Part Vn) in PDF format.

Probably a needle in a haystack but maybe if you can trace the other places mentioned in that listing then there may be a village along one of those lines that has had a name change but looks like it could fit the bill. A few months ago for a write-up I had to locate a small village/town in Russia (on Google Earth) called Wolnjye Chutora and by finding the bigger towns nearby was able to find it by trial and error and found that its 'new' name was Vil’ni Khutory.

Comment

May be village name Staro-panovo ? I can find one staro-panovo on google map.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the additional input.

Hucks you bring up an interesting point - and using the locations of Molodoy Tud, Olenino, and Rhzev I have triangulated the location of IR 451 to its approximate place on the google map (see below). I think you maybe correct about the changing of names after the war as well and this would only further complicate matters...

Anton, not sure where the Staro-Panovo was that you found, but the only one I found was close to St. Petersburg which is too far north.

Best,
            John
            Attached Files

Comment

BTW, here is what I am working with.
              Attached Files

Comment

Card
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John M. Donovan View Post
                  Hi Guys,

Thanks for the additional input.

Hucks you bring up an interesting point - and using the locations of Molodoy Tud, Olenino, and Rhzev I have triangulated the location of IR 451 to its approximate place on the google map (see below). I think you maybe correct about the changing of names after the war as well and this would only further complicate matters...

Anton, not sure where the Staro-Panovo was that you found, but the only one I found was close to St. Petersburg which is too far north.

Best,
                  John
                  Yes this is it. I think about this village because in russian name of the settlement very usually can search "staro-panovo" or "novo- panovo" ( for example ) and not usually name like "staro".
                  Last edited by Anton; 10-30-2011, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X