Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American POW Information from Germany

Hey Everyone!!
    I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.
    I'm trying to do research on my uncle who was a U.S. Army Sergeant captured by the germans in the Battle of the Bulge. The U.S. records about him were burned in a fire and the red cross didn't have much except his name, rank, and date of discharge. I've been told that it might be possible to request information from the german government about him through the deutsche dienststelle WASt, but their website seems to be down.
    Does anyone have any idea how I can request this info or if I'm even on the right track?

Sorry, I can't help you with records from Germany, however let me help on the US side of the pond. I had the same problem with Grandpa's and Dad's records being consumed in the St. Louis fire. Have you tried recently down there? They discovered that they had copies of quite a few records (thousands) in another warehouse, so your dad's records may be down there. Also try your state archives. When I first hit a brick wall with St. Louis, I went to the State records and found both records for WW1 & 2. The vets upon returning, registered their DD Form's 214 with the state. Especially if the state was passing out state medals for service in "the big one". I think your state was one of them. Being that your dad was a POW, I would think that he would have done that just in case any health issues arose from his captivity in Germany. Don't hesitate to enlist the aid of your local congressman! They have to be good for something. Did Dad get his POW medal? Approach it from that standpoint. Good Luck

Comment

I had tried the record office again middle of last year, they didn't have anything new. I didn't think to try for the state though, Thanks!! I don't think he did get a POW medal, he got a purple heart, bronze star, european theater, and good conduct medal and that is all I know of.
      I unfortunately don't have any of it. My Great grandfather owned a junk shop and he sold off all my uncle's stuff right after the war.

Comment

Sad! My dad kept his medals in a cigar box, but at least I was able to retrieve them!

Try the state, but also go to your congressman. They love doing this kind of work and they can get the POW medal for you as well as the others

Comment

Originally posted by fateburning View Post
          Hey Everyone!!
          I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.
          I'm trying to do research on my uncle who was a U.S. Army Sergeant captured by the germans in the Battle of the Bulge. The U.S. records about him were burned in a fire and the red cross didn't have much except his name, rank, and date of discharge. I've been told that it might be possible to request information from the german government about him through the deutsche dienststelle WASt, but their website seems to be down.
          Does anyone have any idea how I can request this info or if I'm even on the right track?

I got my dad's from the international red cross. It takes around six months so it's a "hurry up and wait" situation.

They need a little bit of detail

name

unit number

nationality

serial number

The details are contained on the international red cross website.

It was a very interesting exercise. I knew he had been held in various camps across Italy but before the red cross opened their records we had no way of know exactly were.

I was actually able to track his route across Italy, Germany Poland and Germany again as a result.

Good luck.

Comment

Cool, thanks! I filled out the IRC form a week or so ago and shot a request to deutsche dienststelle WASt since thir website is back up. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X