FlandersMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9 Pz.Div near Aachen - Senior officers relieved of duties 1944?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9 Pz.Div near Aachen - Senior officers relieved of duties 1944?

Hello all,
    While having a quick look through Sam Mitcham's 'Panzer Legions' for some background information on a WP I have it mentioned that around mid-September 1944 the Divisional Cdr and the Chief Of Operations were relieved of their duties due to the divisions performance near Aachen. Looking at Lexikon and the OOB section on AHF the dates tie in for both the Ia and Divisional Cdr but I have not been able to find any other references to them being relieved due to the divisions performance at Aachen. My particular interest is in the Ia as it is his Wehrpass I have and I was wondering if anyone can confirm that Oberstleutnant Johannes Troitzsch was indeed relieved of his duties at Aachen? His wehrpass shows that on 15th Sept 1944 he was placed in the Führer Reserve OKH for a month before being assigned as Ia to the 62 VGD (which is also confirmed by his entry in the Generalstabs book). If anyone can provide any amplifying information on this episode I would be very grateful.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hucks216; 08-03-2011, 04:31 AM. Reason: Images added

Dear Hucks

See attachment.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for that Bart - can you shed any light on the reason for his removal from that position on 15th September 1944? Was it a routine posting away or was it related to the performance of the division's counterattacks around that period?

Comment

Originally posted by hucks216 View Post
        Thank you for that Bart - can you shed any light on the reason for his removal from that position on 15th September 1944? Was it a routine posting away or was it related to the performance of the division's counterattacks around that period?
        Wouldn't know exactly (don't have information to that). Sorry.

Comment

This is what was said in his last officer's evaluation, dated 18 September 1944:

Kurze Beurteilung:
          Einwandfreier Charakter von grundanständiger Gesinnung. Vor dem Feinde bewährt. Seine dienstlichen Kenntnisse als Generalstabsoffizier sind gut. Klare Anschauungen, die Theorie liegt ihm jedoch mehr als die Praxis, hier felht es an der notwendigen Wendigkeit. Hat unter der Div.-Führung der letzten Tage (10.-16.9.1944) seine Kenntnisse und Fähigkeiten nicht entfalten können, zumal da ihm und seinen Mitarbeitern nicht die entsprechende Zeit zur Ruhe und Entspannung gegeben war.

Geistig rege, körperlich groß, kräftig und ausdauernd. Guter Kamerad.

Starke Seiten: Treffend in Lagebeurteilungen.

Schwache Seiten: Neigt zu pessimistischer Einstellung.

Zusammenfassendes Urteil: Durchschnitt

Beitrag des Chefs des Generalstabes der vorgesetzten Kdo.Behörde:
          Ohne straff Führung noch nicht krisenfest. Muß noch lernen, gegebenen Lagen sich wendiger und schwungvoller anzupassen.
          [signature]
          Oberst i.G. und Chef des Gen.St.LXXXI.A.K.

Zusätze vorgesetzter Dienstellen:
          Ruhig und klar, bedarf aber eines starken Antriebes. Setzt sich sonst nicht genügend durch und verliert den Ueberblick.
          [signature]
          Generalleutnant m.d.F.des LXXXI.A.K. beauftragt
          Other than the last two assessments from the higher commands, the evaluation was done by Oberst Sperling, Führer, 9.Pz.Div. (I assume he was the temporary replacement for the relieved division commander?).

My German is letting me down on some of the wording and phrasing above, but this doesn't exactly strike me as a ringing endorsement.

Regards,

Comment

Thanks for that Dave, that is really appreciated. As for not being a ringing endorsement - I've had worse!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X