Hanns Schnaubelt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanns Schnaubelt

A couple of years ago I found some letters from some German soldiers at the attic of my grandfather. He was a farmer and after the war some German soldiers were sent to him to help him with the harvest. They kept in contact with my grandfather till 1950. I got curious about these soldiers and managed to trace one of them. (Willy Stärk) They belonged to aufkl. abt. 99 and were Gebirgsjägers. The other name was Hanns Schnaubelt. Unfortunately I have not been able to locate him, but I know that he lived in Wemding langstrasse 166 (bayern) Does anyone know anything about the person, the aufkl. abt 99 or the adresse?

As i'm sure you know Aufklärungs Abteilung 99 was the reconnaissance battalion of the 7 Gebirgs Division. This division was moving southwards through Norway as the war ended and was due to be transferred to the continent. It was spread out throughout the length of Norway with AA 99 being the furthest south of it's units, being in the Mysen area in may '45. It was quite litterally stretched along the length of riksvei 50 (E6) and some elements of the division were still in the Setermoen area North of Narvik. Was any German division so widely spread apart at the end of the war?
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

I would try to contact the only person named Schnaubelt who is living in Wemding today and is named in the recent phone book:

Schnaubelt, Dieter
      Riedweg 11
      86650 Wemding

phone 09092 14 09

Wemdin has only about 5.000 inhabitants. So the Schnaubelt family should know each other.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wemding

Gerdan

Comment

Vielen Dank!

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
        I would try to contact the only person named Schnaubelt who is living in Wemding today and is named in the recent phone book:

Schnaubelt, Dieter
        Riedweg 11
        86650 Wemding

phone 09092 14 09

Wemdin has only about 5.000 inhabitants. So the Schnaubelt family should know each other.

Gerdan

Comment

I don`t know about the other divisions, but I know that they entered Norway in the Skibotn area, and that they stopped at Gardermoen when the war ended. My grandfather had a farm in the Jessheim area.

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
          As i'm sure you know Aufklärungs Abteilung 99 was the reconnaissance battalion of the 7 Gebirgs Division. This division was moving southwards through Norway as the war ended and was due to be transferred to the continent. It was spread out throughout the length of Norway with AA 99 being the furthest south of it's units, being in the Mysen area in may '45. It was quite litterally stretched along the length of riksvei 50 (E6) and some elements of the division were still in the Setermoen area North of Narvik. Was any German division so widely spread apart at the end of the war?

Comment

That's right, the division had been holding the Sturmbock stellung line which ran from Karesuando in Finland to Kautokeino in Norway from nov44 until jan.45 when the defences of the Lyngen stellung were far enough advanced to allow them to withdraw.

A.A.99 with its 512 men i knopw moved into the reservation at Terningmoen on the 16th May 45.

Ironically i have a hytte in Skibotn and now live in Jessheim
            Last edited by Simon O.; 06-20-2011, 11:14 AM. Reason: typo
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

In one of the letters the soldier tell that they was transferred to the Skien area after their stay at Jessheim/Kløfta, which is the area where I live. There they worked as timbermen. They were shiped outfrom Porsgrunn/Brevik

That's right, the division had been holding the Strumbock stellung line which ran from Karesuando in Finland to Kautokeino in Norway from nov44 until jan.45 when the defences of the Lyngen stellung were far enough advanced to allow them to withdraw.

A.A.99 with its 512 men i knopw moved into the reservation at Terningmoen on the 16th May 45.

Ironically i have a hytte in Skibotn and now live in Jessheim

Comment

Now that really is interesting!

I don't know if you're on the samlerforumet but there was a thread there about Lappland shields being found in the Porsgrunn area
                http://www.samlerforumet.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8070

A bit of a puzzle as no units that qualified for the shield were initially stationed there, however, if the place was used to ship out German soldiers from elsewhere then things start to make sense. A.A.99 of course was a unit that qualified and i can well understand some of the men throwing away any shields they'd previously made prior to going through a final screening by the allies and embarking.

Comment

I`m not at the samlerforum, but I`m very familiar with the Lappland shield being dug up, because I dug up one myself. I gave it to my friend because he collected Gebirgsjäger stuff. He fell flat on his ass when I found it, and started to smoke heaily. There has been a couple of German camps in the area, and we found the place where they dumped the German soldiers stuff. We collected some German plates stamped with Porsgrunn porselen ( sanitetsgewirckshaft), German buttons, money from Belgium, Russia, France and Germany, glass bottles, shoes, in very bad conditions, feltrasjon bokser, items from first aid kits, horse shoes, tools, etc. I live in Brevik and at Lager RohrbrunN there were 3000 soldiers waiting to be shipped out after the war.
                  I also know that Lager Franken and Lager ( Vallemyrene) don`t remember the name now were transfer camps.

There were a couple of SD people who disquised themselves a Gebirgsjägers in Lager Franken (Porsgrunn) One of them was Befehlshaber der Sicherheitspolizei der SD, SS, Oberführer und Oberst der Polizei Heinrich Fehlis.

Now that really is interesting!

I don't know if you're on the samlerforumet but there was a thread there about Lappland shields being found in the Porsgrunn area
                  http://www.samlerforumet.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8070

A bit of a puzzle as no units that qualified for the shield were initially stationed there, however, if the place was used to ship out German soldiers from elsewhere then things start to make sense. A.A.99 of course was a unit that qualified and i can well understand some of the men throwing away any shields they'd previously made prior to going through a final screening by the allies and embarking.
                  Last edited by inf div 710; 06-20-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Got in contact with Dieter Schnaubelt, but he knew nothing about that. His father had passed away and the only information he had was that his father came from Wachtl in earlier Tschcoslovakia.
                    In one of the letters he tells" Meine Heimat war das ehemalige Östereich - Ungarn wirw wurden 1918 der Cechoslowakei einverleibt und somit Cechoslowakische statsbürger"
                    Seems to me that most likely this is the same person :-)

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post

Schnaubelt, Dieter
                    Riedweg 11
                    86650 Wemding

phone 09092 14 09

Gerdan

Comment

i joined the samlerforum and saw that it was the same Lappland shield which i dug up together with my friend. it is his friend Stian, who has taken the picture. It was interesting to read that it had been collected several other shields in the area.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X