How to research German boats that were sunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to research German boats that were sunk

A friend of mine asked me for advice to research a few small German vessels that were sunk in WW2. What archive could have info on these vessels, including how many crew members died, etc? I suspect the WASt must have the info, but is not willing to share it. Are there any Kriegsmarine or veteran organiations or other organisms that could help?

Thanks

JL

Jean-Loup

You want the relevant KTB from the Kriegsmarine, if it still survives.

If it's down in your part of the world that would be the KTB from the Kommandant der Seeverteidigung Franz.Reviera and the Komandierenden admiral der Franz. Südküste.

these will include any losses within their area of responsibility. Alternativley, if you know which ships or boats then you may be lucky in that their flottilla KTB survive.

I know that may not be the case for you in France. Again we're very lucky up here in that most of these KTB survive.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

There are also US and Allied after action reports-Intell reports. I have never used these for Naval events but I do know they are in US archives.

Also there are more general resources but I suspect they may not be complete-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shipwrecks_in_1943

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        Simon, what archive are these KTB documents preserved in?

JL

Comment

I don't know if they did all of them but those that i've seen were microfilmed by the British admiralty. NARA have their copies but the originals are held by BAMA. Try RM 45 IV at BAMA.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

OK, thank you. I will inform my friend and see if he wants to pursue the matter. Are there any German archives who would have this info as well?

JL

Comment

Yes, as i said BAMA (Bundesarchiv), they should have all the original copies.

Comment

Sorry, I wasnt familiar with the term BAMA, I though it must mean British admiralty...

JL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X