Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9./KG77 Observer

Hello all,

After many attempts to research this myself have failed, I thought I'd give it a go here...

I have an early Observer badge (unmarked Deumer) that has some details scratched on the back.

I can see 9./KG77 and Königgrätz on one side, on the other what looks like Auonker or Huonker

As Königgrätz was the base for 9./KG77 in 1939 and given the badge is early I would say that ties up ok. I would further assume the Auonker or Huonker was the name of the recipient.

Does anyone have any info on 9/KG77 that might reveal who Auonker or Huonker was?

Thanks
    Rich
    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
    Decorations of Germany

9./kg77

Rich,

Unfortunately there is no unit history for Kampfgeschwader 77 however one avenue to pursue, if you haven't already is the following forum.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8&order=desc

There is a possibility that if your BO was a casualty he would be listed on loss returns for KG77. This of course pre-supposes that he stayed with 9./KG77 for a lengthy duration and KG77 in general. As I'm sure you are aware it is not uncommon for personnel to be transferred to a variety of units.

Good luck

Jeremy

Comment

Jeremy,

Thanks for the reminder in 12 o'clock high. I hadn't thought about that one.

Given that the badge is almost mint, I think it was not worn much so maybe he was KIA or retired or the badge was only worn while on leave.

Thanks again
      Rich
      Decorations of Germany

Comment

Jeremy

Amazingly, Peter Cornwell at 12 O'Clock High provided the answer and info in less than 1 hour!

16 October 1940: 9./KG77 Junkers Ju88A-1 (5139). Crashed at Roye, south-east of Amiens, due to icing during return from sortie over England. FF Oberlt Georg Reiß, HB Fw Christian Huonker, BF Uffz Erich Horbank, and BM Fw Walter Herzig all killed. Aircraft 3Z+DT 100% write-off.

Rich
        Decorations of Germany

Comment

Kg77

Rich,

I just noticed your thread on 12 OCH thats great news!!!!!

Very nice also that it is Battle of Britain related!!

Congrats! Personalized pieces such as that are so rare and to attach the history even more rare.

Jeremy

Comment

Hello, I am a relative of the owner of the badge. His name is Christian Huonker. Contact me if you want. I'd be pleased to know where the badge is located.

fmhuonker@t-online.de
            Last edited by fhuonker; 10-26-2014, 03:23 PM. Reason: error

Comment

I just found this thread. Look what I have:
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X