Looking for information on a Panzer Oberst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for information on a Panzer Oberst

Recently, I was fortunate enough to win an auction that included a pair of shoulder boards for an Oberst who was attached to a Panzerschule. Also, included in the auction was an Imperial dog tag with the name "Schmidt" and unit "Jaeger zu Pferde Rgt. 4".

There was another auction for more of his effects that included a Heer dogtag for the staff of Panzer Abteilung 66 which was part of the 2. Leichte Division.

Does anyone have any information on this officer? A first name would be of great help.

Thank you,
    Glen
    Attached Files

Hello Glen,

it seems that there was a Hptm Schmidt in PzAbt66 in 1939:

http://gliederungundstellenbesetzung...pzabt66-d.html

If you want to start a research you can contact German WAST:

http://www.dd-wast.de/frame_e.htm

You have all the information you need to find this man. I will also check my literature about the Panzertruppenschulen, perhaps I find a glue.

Comment

Thank you!

Originally posted by LuckyStrike23 View Post
      Hello Glen,

If you want to start a research you can contact German WAST:

http://www.dd-wast.de/frame_e.htm

You have all the information you need to find this man. I will also check my literature about the Panzertruppenschulen, perhaps I find a glue.
      Thank you my friend!

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyStrike23 View Post

Did you have any luck in identifying this Hptm Schmidt? I have two documents signed by him in 1939 and would like to find out about his later career.

Comment

The "Offiziersliste 03.01.39 (mit Vorname)" thread at forum.panzer-archiv.de has:
          Hauptmann 01.04.34 SCHMIDT Wolfgang 14.09.1896- (Pz.Abt.66) Oberst (01.12.44)
          In my handwritten notes from the US National Archives, which suck because I left out a lot of information, I have Wolfgang Schmidt (full name Wolfgang Wilhelm Gustav Albert Schmidt), born on 14 Sept. 1896 in Frankfurt an der Oder.

Wolfgang Schmidt entered JRzP 4 as a Kriegsfreiwilliger on 1.12.14, and was commissioned a Lt. on 27.4.17 (Patent dated 18.4.17). He also served in the infantry, in IR 420, as there was not a great demand for cavalry in World War I. He left active duty on 10.3.20 and was a char. OLt.a.D. He returned to the Wehrmacht as a reserve officer (OLt.d.R. on 1.3.36), and then transferred to active duty. I have his dates of rank as:

1.10.36 Hauptmann (must have been backdated to 1.4.34)
          1.1.40 Major
          1.4.42 Oberstleutnant

I don't have the December 1944 promotion to full Oberst, so his file must have been missing some late-war information. This is not unusual. I don't have anything on his World War II assignments, but with both the JRzP 4 and PzAbt 66 connection, this must be him.

For awards, I have:

11.11.17 - 1914 EK2
          10.1.18 - Mecklenburg-Schwerin Military Merit Cross
          14.12.31 - Hungarian 1914-18 War Commemorative Medal
          14.1.35 - Honor Cross for Combatants
          2.10.36 - Wehrmacht DA 4th Class
          24.5.40 - 1939 Clasp to the EK2
          24.5.40 - Panzerkampfabzeichen
          29.5.40 - 1939 EK1
          1.5.42 - Gold Wound Badge
          30.1.44 - War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords

A gold wound badge with no prior wounds means he must have been severely wounded. I would guess he then spent the remainder of the war in the rear, which would fit the Panzerschule. The next time I am at the archives, I can see what else there is (clearly my Schmidt notes need further work).

Regards,
          Dave

Comment

Thanks a lot Dave for that very detailed biographical information
            Below is his signature on the documents (Urlaubscheine) I was talking about; his rank matches with your dates.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi all !

Many thanks for the detailed information provided in this thread !

Some additional information :
              According to Keilig, Rangliste des Heeres 1944/45, Oberstleutnant Schmidt was promoted to Oberst on 30.1.1945 (4);
              At the same time, he received a RDA-Verbesserung, backdating his promotion to 1.12.1944 (20).

I have some interest in the organization of the schools of the Wehrmacht. But I could not find any trace of him in :
              Ritgen, Die Schulen der Panzertruppen des Heeres

Maybe it could help, if Glen (Schulterklappen) would remember a bit more of the designation of the school ?!
              But I assume that is too long ago now ...

Cheers,

Archi

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X