SS List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS List

I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a list of SS men who were concentration camp guards. The reason why I ask such a question is because I've been trying to confirm whether or not my Oma's one Uncle had been a camp guard possibly at Duchau or one of it's sub camp (if they had them) from 1937-1939. The reason why I suspect he might have been is because I received a studio portrait picture from the German Archives where he is wearing a double totenkopf collar tabs. Also in the picture he has the rank of Rottenführer so I assume that the picture was taking around the time he was promoted to Rottenführer which was in September 1940. He had initially joined the Allgemiene SS in 1937, on July 11 1939 he was called up for service with the Waffen SS and on September 1st 1939 he enlisted in the Waffen SS. In all the documents I have attained on him, the earliest unit history starts in January 1941. So the units he belonged to prior to that I have no documentation for. I did find one document which is from February 19th 1941 where it talks about him receiving his new Wehrpass. Maybe he had lost his old identification book? The only time I found when he wasn't in Totenkopf Division was when he was in Pioneer Ersatz Bataillon Dresden when he was released from the hospital and was recovering from his wound. Once he had recovered fully he once again returned to Totenkopf Division. So I’m wondering if there is a list some where out there with the names of the SS men who were indeed camp guards?

Thanks,

Chris

So there's no where these type of records are kept?

Comment

A massive KZ/KL study has been done, I think the first volume released, but I haven't obtained a copy as yet so don't know its contents in specific. It's a couple hundred dollars or more per volume from my recollection.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark C. Yerger View Post
        A massive KZ/KL study has been done, I think the first volume released, but I haven't obtained a copy as yet so don't know its contents in specific. It's a couple hundred dollars or more per volume from my recollection.
        Mark,
        Do you know the title or publisher please?
        Max.

Comment

Do you mean this one?
          Max.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Max,
            Do you have that volume? Having just seen it on Amazon and seeing it contains 1790+ pages it would seem to be worth the money but a 7 Volume series will prove to be very expensive. If you have it would you say that it is worth the investment & does it mention how often the volumes will be released?

Comment

Originally posted by hucks216 View Post
              does it mention how often the volumes will be released?
              Unfortunately it doesn't. The only info is from the press release which states "the six additional volumes will be published between now and 2018."

Comment

Originally posted by hucks216 View Post
                Hello Max,
                Do you have that volume? Having just seen it on Amazon and seeing it contains 1790+ pages it would seem to be worth the money but a 7 Volume series will prove to be very expensive. If you have it would you say that it is worth the investment & does it mention how often the volumes will be released?
                I'm afraid I don't have it, but I think you can assume it's worth having if you are interested in the camps.
                Max.

Comment

People who want data need to learn to pay pay for it, $3 chain store bargain books you get what you pay for. Always amazed me those who spend 10K on a militaria item balk at $40 (or any amount) for data unobtainable elsewhere.

Few, except those who write, have a grasp of the effort required to write a book of previously unknown information. Those who don't normally have that degree of bad militaria reflecting a lack of book knowledge. They do buy pretty picture books with 3 line captions.

By book knowledge I mean actual data (historical and otherwise), not photo catalogs compiled in 2 hours comprised of items from collections. Some of the junk militaria books done by now "instant authorities" are a joke, but collectors fall over themselves to buy them.

Max's post is the book I wrote about, have not yet gotten around to a copy. I'd say it's a monumental undertaking and as stated, you get what you pay for. I'll be getting volume 1 as my interest would be in the earlier "Wild" camps and Pohl's WuVHA.

Comment

Guess its called prioritising, Even if you have Deep pockets! To obtain every reference book that appeals to you regardless of cost is not practical. One person that comments on this thread has more Books on his shelf than my Local library Does. Books and Covers spring to mind!

Originally posted by Mark C. Yerger View Post
                    People who want data need to learn to pay pay for it, $3 chain store bargain books you get what you pay for. Always amazed me those who spend 10K on a militaria item balk at $40 (or any amount) for data unobtainable elsewhere.

Few, except those who write, have a grasp of the effort required to write a book of previously unknown information. Those who don't normally have that degree of bad militaria reflecting a lack of book knowledge. They do buy pretty picture books with 3 line captions.

By book knowledge I mean actual data (historical and otherwise), not photo catalogs compiled in 2 hours comprised of items from collections. Some of the junk militaria books done by now "instant authorities" are a joke, but collectors fall over themselves to buy them.

Max's post is the book I wrote about, have not yet gotten around to a copy. I'd say it's a monumental undertaking and as stated, you get what you pay for. I'll be getting volume 1 as my interest would be in the earlier "Wild" camps and Pohl's WuVHA.

Comment

My collecting area of interest isnt the camps, I don't even have a wehrpass to a late-war camp guard, but the amount of information that is bound to be contained in these volumes still stokes my interest from a literature point of view.
                      Last edited by hucks216; 03-25-2010, 04:21 AM.

Comment

My suggestion is : go to maryland, and spend a couple weeks sifting thru records in the nazi files and records they store there. You can purchses copies of the ones you want , for any researching you want to do. This might help the layman understand the time consumption at hand to search for things that are out there to be read in captured nazi documents,many files few have come across..they have massive records you can go thru , and I would not go for a specific search, but to discover what you will or may find, wich then may lead to a specific search. It helps if you speak german fluently.

Comment

where is it exactly in Maryland?

Comment

National Archives 2, Modern Military Branch, is on the campus of the University of Maryland, College Park, about 15 miles outside of downtown Washington, DC.

www.nara.gov

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X