Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzers in Normandy College Research Paper HELP

Gentleman,

For the first time in three years I have been given the opportunity to construct a research paper on the topic of my choosing. I'm evaluating the failed opportunity the German Military had in Normandy. More specifically, Hitler's delayed deployment of the 12th SS and Lehr Panzer Divisions to the beachhead as well as the movement of the 2nd SS and 17th SS Panzer Divisions to the interior prevented a German victory at Normandy. I will factor in the superiority of American Air power. Obviously the German had superior armor when compared to the Allies, but what about the numbers?

Did the Germans even stand a chance at Normandy?

Could the Germans have successfully repelled the Allied Invasion at Normandy had the Panzers been released? If so, how quickly?

What I'm looking for are some pointers. What sources should I investigate for the composition of each Panzer Division engaged in Normandy?

You guys are the experts; I'm just a young, amateur historian/college student. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks

Normandy 1944 by Niklas Zetterling
    Panzers in Normandy Then and Now by Eric Lefever
    will answer all your questions
    Best Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by deadmanscorner View Post
      and 17th SS Panzer Divisions
      Don't mean to be nit-picking, but the 17th was a Panzer Grenadier Division and not a Panzer Division.

Comment

That was an error on my part, thank you for pointing that out.

Comment

Some other books on the subject that you may want to look into include, "The 12th SS" The History of the Hitler Youth Panzer Division by Hubert Meyer, then these two books by Michael Reynolds, "Steel Inferno" 1st SS Panzer Corps in Normandy, and "Sons of the Reich" II SS Panzer Corps, Normandy, Arnhem, Ardennes, Eastern Front. Good Luck with your paper!

Comment

With respect, think you mean 12th SS and 21st Panzer Divisions - which were the two formations within striking distance of the Allied beaches (specifically the British/Canadian beaches) on 6 June 1944. You will also have to place this in the context of the debate on defend forward or defend in depth (roughly Rommel vs Rundstedt).

Here you will need to research German headquarters reports - as authority for their commitment had to come from Hitler..which was delayed. Speidel has written a book which might be useful and there is good analysis in some post-war military interviews. I am away from my references, but there is lots of stuff out there.

Mike

Comment

In a nutshell, no the Germans did not stand much of a chance in Normandy as they were totally bereft of air power meaning their strength, movement, was nullified. Likewise Allied naval firepower could also pin the panzer divisions down. Factor in Hitler's intereference with the battle, eg counter attack at Mortain, and you'll soon see. Not that I'm saying its a simple question to answer. Lefevre, Zetterling, Reynolds and Meyer will give you a wealth of information, also do not neglect the Allied sources either. Though at times their handling of the battle could have been much better.

Jonathan

Comment

I would agree.... the only chance the Germans would have had of success would have been a Hurricane in the channel.

Originally posted by Jonathan M View Post
                In a nutshell, no the Germans did not stand much of a chance in Normandy as they were totally bereft of air power meaning their strength, movement, was nullified. Likewise Allied naval firepower could also pin the panzer divisions down. Factor in Hitler's intereference with the battle, eg counter attack at Mortain, and you'll soon see. Not that I'm saying its a simple question to answer. Lefevre, Zetterling, Reynolds and Meyer will give you a wealth of information, also do not neglect the Allied sources either. Though at times their handling of the battle could have been much better.

Jonathan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X