Kampfgruppe

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

warcrimes on civilians in december 1944?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

warcrimes on civilians in december 1944?

Hi

there are several books written about the Malmedy massacre. But one day after this event, there were shootings on civilians in the city of Stavelot. This was done by the LAH. There is not much written about this event, does somebody know more? What's the real history or is it after 64 years impossible to know what really happened?

greets

Hello,

I have the results of the official investigation on that subject by the Belgian Gouvernement. This is a small booklet, printed in 1945. I will read the file tomorrow and post some scans.

Sincerely,
    Vincent S.

Comment

Dear Vincent,

thanks very much,

warmest regards,
      Tom

Comment

Hello,

Sorry for not replying in a more timely fashion. I found the small booklet, but it turns out that it only covers the horrid acts commited in the smal town of Bande, in the "Arondissment du Marche".

If wanted, I can scan the entire booklet and mail it to you as PDF?

Sincerely,
        Vincent S.

Comment

Appr. 100 civilians were murdered by the LSSAH in or near Stavelot. Is this what you refer to?

Regards
          Bart

Comment

Hi guys,

I was indeed refering to the Stavelot incident Bart. I can't find good info about it...

Vincent, about the Bande incident, I have some information so that's ok. But thanks for looking for it!!

T

Comment

I have a long article in a french magazine about that, with pictures. I can scan that next week if you are interested.

Comment

Wasn't there evidence that the 100 civilians were killed by allied bombling? I read I think Agte's book about Peiper the body wounds were consistant with HE from aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by USGI View Post
                  Wasn't there evidence that the 100 civilians were killed by allied bombling? I read I think Agte's book about Peiper the body wounds were consistant with HE from aircraft.

???????????????????

Comment

My mistake, the author is Charles Whiting Jochen Peiper. Page 141 describes inaccurate witness statements citing SS shootings that were in fact American bomb related. I believe SS soldiers did kill inocent civilians I just don't believe all of the stories from one point of view.

Comment

I know that malmedy was bombed but there must exist "objective" material about the death of civilians and the SS shootings of the LAH OR the allied bombings.

What really happened?

Comment

Can somebody give me some information about this happening?

Thanks in advance.

T

Comment

A Signal Corps image of relevance. The grease pencil marks are from the editor.
                          Attached Files

Comment

reverse.
                            Attached Files

Comment

hello MJC, thanks for the picture. I found another picture of the same scene. You can see some damage to the house on the background.

What's the relation between the dead child and the damage to the house? How objective is the text written on the backside of the picture? Of course, these questions can't be answered by you. I hope someone else can.

Thanks again for sharing your picture!

Tom
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X