17th (Motorcycle) Company, IRGD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17th (Motorcycle) Company, IRGD

I am interested in the history of the 17th (Motorcycle) Company of the Infantry Regiment GrossDeutschland. Having recently read the first volume of Helmuth Spaeter's 'History of Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland', I have found some answers, but unfortunately found new questions.

I know that this company joined the IRGD as a reconnaissance company on July10th 1940, at the latter stages of the campaign against France. Soon it was joined by a few other companies to form the 5th (V) Battalion of IRGD, until the formation of the GrossDeutschland division in early 1942.

I am interested in the order of battle for this company, which the above book only partialy explains. It states the following:
    Company commander with 1 x Kfz18, first aid motorcycle combination and one motorcycle
    Armoured car platoon, 4 with MGs and 1 with 2cm cannon
    3 sections of motorcycles, each with 3 BMW combinations, the first of each with mounted MG
    1 5cm mortar team on combinations
    1 heavy MG platoon on combinations

Does anyone know how many platoons there were and what the make up of the vehicles was in each in each platoon? I feel that the above information is not as complete as it could be, such as:

1/ How was the armoured car platoon formed in terms of sections? (is it 1 car per section?)
    2/ Did the 3 sections of motorcycles form the 2nd platoon alone?
    3/ How many motorcycles formed the mortar team?
    4/ Which platoon was the mortar team part of or was it a platoon on its own?
    5/ How many motorcycles formed the MG platoon?
    6/ What other support vehicles did the company have as assets for logistical or signals use?

In depth questions I know, but any help or advice is gladly welcomed. Thanks

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
X