Luftwaffe Boelcke unit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe Boelcke unit question

I've got an early flight service tunic for an Unteroffizier (dated 1937) with the following markings: "II/Boelcke" "Fl.H.K.Wunstorf". I'm trying to determine whether this man would have been in a plane or a member of the airbase cadre. I'm assuming the abbreviation stands for Fliegerhorst Kompanie or Fliegerhorstkammer or Fliegerhorst Kommandeur but those are just my assumptions. Is anyone familiar with this designation? Would the marking mean that the uniform was airbase property or that the man was assigned to the airbase as opposed to being a flight crew member?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Erich
    Festina lente!

Erich,

I would say it is "Fliegerhorst Kommandeur Wunstorf". II/Boelke was formed 1.4.1937 at Wunstorf as II Gruppe, Kampfgeschwader 157 "Boelke". It was later renamed 1.5.1939 to II Gruppe, Kampfgeschwader 27 "Boelke".

I wouldn't like to say what he was but the Fl.H.K. in a peacetime jacket is quite normal as that was were the unit was stationed and even peacetime documents carry the peacetime garrison/station....in war obviously could be anywhere!

Uffz. rank would indicate possibly a flyer in training......any award loops on the tunic?

/Ian
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Boelcke tunic

Thanks Ian,
      Yes, there are loops for 2 badges on the left pocket (one in the center of the pleat and one to the lower (viewer's) left)) and a ribbon bar (could be for a flight Spange but I think it's for about a 3 or 4 ribbon bar, judging from the length. Also, while there's no sleeveband present, it's possible that there was one at one time. It's hard to tell.
      Thanks!
      Erich

Originally posted by Ian Jewison
      Erich,

I would say it is "Fliegerhorst Kommandeur Wunstorf". II/Boelke was formed 1.4.1937 at Wunstorf as II Gruppe, Kampfgeschwader 157 "Boelke". It was later renamed 1.5.1939 to II Gruppe, Kampfgeschwader 27 "Boelke".

I wouldn't like to say what he was but the Fl.H.K. in a peacetime jacket is quite normal as that was were the unit was stationed and even peacetime documents carry the peacetime garrison/station....in war obviously could be anywhere!

Uffz. rank would indicate possibly a flyer in training......any award loops on the tunic?

/Ian
      Festina lente!

Comment

KG Boelcke question

Any other info available for these markings/tunic/date?
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

Fl h k wunstorf

I have a clarinet dated 1930 made by A E Fischer, Bremen with thismname engraved on the bell

Comment

hay mate, please share the jacket

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X