Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sch.Pz Abt (Tiger) FKL- what is the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sch.Pz Abt (Tiger) FKL- what is the difference?

Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between a s.Panzer-Abt.Tiger-Fkl. 301 (and Pz Abt Fkl 301/ Pz Kp Fkl 312 for that matter) and a 'normal' s.Pz.Abt (Tiger) unit? I have seen the three former units in a soldbuch I have reserved (with a FpNr of 04717) with dates of 1942/43.
    Thanks in advance for any information.

FKL means Funklenk or radio controlled. These were armoured units that used radio controlled high explosive vehicles guided from panzers, in the case of tiger units the name gives away which sort.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Many thanks for that Simon, after your reply I was able to do a quick search and they used the Bogward explosive vehicles - I remember that they (the Bogwards) are mentioned in the Mark Healy book 'Zitadelle', and having just done a search on the net I have just found this extra little piece of information...

Panzer Kompanie (Funklenk) 312 was subordinated to s.Pz.Abt 505 with 31 Tiger Is and 15 PzKpfw. IIIs during the Battle at Kursk. The only detailed combat report of Borgward IV in action at Kursk comes from Pz.Kp (Fkl) 312. "One B IV was sent out 800m towards a PaK-nest with 2-3 PaKs and detonated, destroying the guns and the accompanying infantry. Another B IV was sent 400m against a T-34/76 which was destroyed as it rammed the B IV. Three B IV were sent 400-600m towards three concrete bunkers, destroying all of them. Two B IV was sent 800m towards a PaK-nest and an infantry gun-nest, destroying both of them. Another B IV reached a Soviet position and was set on fire by a Molotov Cocktail and it exploded along with the enemy position."

Comment

More on this unit

Jan-Hendrik

Comment

Thank you for the link - that is very useful

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X