Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmut Edler von Kiesling auf Kieslingstein

Dear All

I am trying to research Hauptmann Helmut Edler von Kiesling auf Kieslingstein. He was killed in action in Russia on 9th December 1942 while flying with KG53 and posthumously promoted to Major. I have a number of von Kiesling's award documents, his commission, etc. I attach a photo.

From the Bundesarchiv I received a copy of a letter from The Geschwaderkommodore of KG53 to von Kiesling's wife referring to von Kiesling as his adjutant. Helmut's father was evidently a general as the letter refers to General von Kiesling.

If anyone has information on Helmut von Kiesling I would be very glad to receive it. My German is poor but I have found no reference in the unit book by Heinz Kiehl other than a reference to von Kiesling's loss.

Thanks
    Tim O
    Attached Files

Tim,

I can add the following: Hellmuth Edler von Kiesling auf Kieslingstein was born 11.06.1912 in Munich (while his father was attending the Bavarian War Academy).

His father, Bruno Edler von Kiesling auf Kieslingstein, rose to the rank of Gen.Lt. (date of rank 01.11.1941). He was an active duty officer in the Bavarian Army prior to 1914. At the outbreak of the war, he was a captain on the Bavarian General Staff. He rose to the rank of Major by the end of the war. He was reactivated on 1933 and served as the "Wehrersatz-Inspekteur Regensberg." He was placed in the "Führer Reserve" in April 1943 and a few months later he retired. He was born 06.10.1878 and died 20.02.1957.

Unfortunately, I do not have anything else on his son, the man in whom you are more interested.

Comment

Andy

Thank you very much. This adds great depth to my research.

best wishes
      Tim O.

Comment

Hi Tim,

Sound like a nice grouping

You are saying that he was killed on that date. According to Kiehl he was MIA? Does the letter of the Kommandore (I guess Wilke) say anything about him being KIA or MIA?

Do you know anything about what happend on the 9th of December 1942? Kiehl also says that his losses was caused by "feindeinwirkung" (enemy action). He is the only loss recorded (again according to Kiehl) on that date for the entire Geschwader. Did he and his other crewmembers bail out behind enemy lines and was he the only one that did make it back to german lines?

Do you have more pictures of him or other KG53 members/he111? I would love to see more!

Good luck with your research and please keep us informed!

Kind regards, Thomas

Comment

Hi Thomas

Here is a translation of the letter, which came from the Bundesarchiv. I understand KG 53 was routinely undertaking low-level attacks at this time and wondered if perhaps von Kiesling got caught by shrapnel from a bomb dropped by another or even his own aircraft. He was the only one injured in the aircraft, which returned to base.

Copy<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>
          <o></o>
          Bomber Wing 53 Operations Room, 10<SUP>th</SUP> December 1942<o></o>
          The Commander<o></o>

Dearest Lady<o></o>
          <o></o>
          Although I know that, through your father-in-law you are prepared for the news of the heroic death of your husband, the heavy task falls to me to write to you. Fate has dealt your marriage a very rough hand and taken away your husband. I myself, in the first few weeks as Wing Commander of KG 53, have lost so much through the heroic death of my Adjutant that I still do not know what to do without him. Your husband was an exceptionally good man. Clear in his thinking, hard on himself, intelligent and well read, he was an officer from the very best mould, the like of which I am afraid we have very few in the Armed Forces. I can still hear his deep voice, telling stories of the artillery man in his humorous way in our little Officers’ Mess, or in his clear manner giving his report to me, as part of his duties as Adjutant. Now he has fallen in action for his Fatherland, giving his life for the German people.<o></o>
          <o></o>
          Your husband had a quick death, his life extinguished during a combat sortie. I have described the detailed circumstances to General von Kiesling and also informed him that his comrades will lay him to rest tomorrow in the military cemetery at Pleskau in the presence of his uncle, Lieutenant General von Veith. Also, after I landed today, I went to the little chapel at the local airfield, where your husband lies. Four large pine wreaths stand beside him and the Reich War Flag covers him. Your husband lay so peacefully in front of me, that he seemed to be asleep. Shrapnel from a bomb exploding outside his aircraft hit your husband, resulting in instant death.<o></o>
          <o></o>
          You are a soldier’s wife! The soldier’s death of your husband will not shock you. With you mourn, not only the nearest relatives of Helmut von Kiesling, not only his Wing, who lost their Adjutant, but also the German people who have lost a hero, making a reality of the saying: the officer should always lead his men from the front, death is also then part of leadership.<o></o>
          <o></o>
          Your husband proved his loyalty to Bomber Wing 53. You yourself, dear lady, now belong to the great family of the Bomber Wing. If needed, I will support you at any time in word and deed.<o></o>
          <o></o>
          The estate of your husband will be forwarded to you as soon as possible after tomorrow’s funeral service.<o></o>
          <o></o>
          Assuring you of my sincere condolences<o></o>
          In deepest sympathy<o></o>
          Yours sincerely<o></o>
          Karl-Eduard Wilke<o></o>

Thanks for your interest

best wishes
          Tim O.

Comment

By the way, I unfortunately have no other photos for the von Kiesling grouping.

Comment

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for posting a translation of the letter.

My guess is that flak killed him.

If Helmut Edler von Kiesling was Wilke's adjutant, than I guess he was always close to him.
              From 24.11.1942 till 19.01.1943, I/KG53 and III/KG53 were involved in "kampf- und versorgungseinsatz" combat and supplying the troops in the "kessel" encircled area of Welikije Luki. Wilke was for this battle "gefechtsverbandsführer" Battlegroups Guide. So my guess is that Stabstaffel was also involved in this supplying of the troops in the encircled area. For these kind of operations, low flying is required, which makes the planes HE111 more vulnerable for flak. If a bomb exploded outside this he111 (only bomber used by KG53), I would say there is a 99% change it was flak that killed him, if he was indeed involved in this battle.

Historians describe the action in and around Welikije Luki as a small Stalingrad.

Kind regards, Thomas

Comment

Hi Thomas

The original German is 'detonierenden Bombe', which I always took to be specifically a bomb (i.e. dropped from an aircraft) rather than flak (i.e. an airburst shell fired from the ground). I have read that aircraft were sometimes damaged by their own weapons in these low-level attacks and I imagined the observer lying on the floor of the He111 would be the most at risk of being hit by any explosion on the ground.

I guess we will never know for sure but the other day I was looking at a photo of an aircraft damaged by an ammunition wagon that had exploded under it and it certainly made a mess of the nose, even though the aircraft returned to base.

best wishes
                Tim O.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X