FP Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FP Assistance

I am looking for the unit(s) assigned 15180A. Unfortunately, I don't have a date range narrower than '39 to '45.

I am assuming it is a unit Stab.

Thanks very much in advance.

M.

(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) 12. Hundertschaft SS-Sturmbann III/7,

dann 12. Hundertschaft SS-TK-Standarte 7,

(28.4.1940-14.9.1940) gestrichen,

(12.7.1941-26.1.1942) Bahnhof der Eisenbahn-Bezirksdirektion Mitte Gomel,

(27.1.1942-14.7.1942) Bahnhof der Heeres-Bezirksdirektion Mitte Gomel,

(1.8.1943-23.3.1944) 1.12.1943 gestrichen,

(24.3.1944-6.11.1944) 29.9.1944 Stab III u. 7.-8. Batterie Artillerie-Regiment 246.

Comment

Alex, many thanks to you!

Cheers.

Comment

The suffix A does denote Stab.

Looking at what Alex posted I would say your FP belonged to Stab/Artillerie-Regiment 246 at the time.

/Ian
        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thanks Ian. Cheers!

Comment

Very interesting. I have a helmet named to a Leutnant Hofmann which also has the same Feldpost number,

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by powdermonkey View Post
              Very interesting. I have a helmet named to a Leutnant Hofmann which also has the same Feldpost number,

Andrew
              Ok then....whats the FP Nr?

/Ian

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jewison View Post
                Ok then....whats the FP Nr?

/Ian

FP# is 15180A. This would be as of May 1944 or later, as the helmet is marked Ltn Hofmann, and by his service record he was promoted to Leutnant as of May 1st, 1944. During this same time period (up until July 17 1944) on the service record, I see under the unit column A.Sch.II, but I don't know what that represents.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by powdermonkey View Post
                  FP# is 15180A. This would be as of May 1944 or later, as the helmet is marked Ltn Hofmann, and by his service record he was promoted to Leutnant as of May 1st, 1944. During this same time period (up until July 17 1944) on the service record, I see under the unit column A.Sch.II, but I don't know what that represents.

Andrew
                  Andrew,

Can you show his service record? I would hazard a guess it stands for Artillerie Schule II.

According to the above info, the FP Nr. did not exist between 1.12.1943 and 29.9.1944. Then if with the suffix A it belonged to Stab III Abteilung, Artillerie-Regiment 246.

/Ian

Comment

Here's the page out of the service record I was referring to Ian

Comment

Yes that is Artillerieschule II which was based in Jüterborg. Here he would have completed his officer training.

I am a little confused how he could be with FP Nr. 15180 A. Prior to 29.9.1944 it was:

(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) Stab III Artillerie-Regiment 246,
                      (28.4.1940-14.9.1940) Stab III u. 7.-9. Batterie Artillerie-Regiment 246,
                      (1.2.1941-11.7.1941) Stab III u. 7.-8. Batterie Artillerie-Regiment 246, Stab III u. 7.-9. Batterie Artillerie-Regiment 246,
                      (7.11.1944-Kriegsende) 16.12.1944 gestrichen.

After July 1944 he was with Artillerie Regiment 1545 which was a completely different FP Nr.!?!?!?!?!

/Ian

Comment

Thanks Ian,

Yes, this isn't adding up at all. I wonder if the service record is actually not complete? Perhaps he was transferred back to A.R. 246 sometime after the last entry recorded in the service record......and sometime after Sept/44? I can only speculate.

Andrew

Comment

How's your German?

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...eg/AR246-R.htm

Art.Rgt. 246 was destroyed in June 1944 and newly reformed 15.9.1944.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...g/AR1545-R.htm

Are you sure the records are for the same guy who had the helmet?

/Ian

Comment

Well, I am unfortunately quite dependent on the online translator. I had checked those pages out on the Lexicon der Wehrmacht site, and am able to get a general understanding.
                            The person I bought the helmet from had obtained this service record through Westmoreland Research based on the name and feldpost# on the helmet. I am going to make some contacts and try to conclusively verify that I have the service record for the correct Leutnant Hofmann. The way I'm seeing it, it's either the wrong person, or the service record is incomplete and should have another entry beyond the end of Sept 1944.

Thanks for all your help!

Andrew
                            Last edited by powdermonkey; 11-08-2009, 06:59 PM. Reason: added details

Comment

From what I'm finding out, the research results were not 100% conclusive due to the inconsistencies mentioned previously, and it seems that an assumption was made because there was only one Ltn. Hofmann found in records associated with AR 246.
                              However, the dates being off considerably makes me doubt whether this service record is the correct one for the soldier who owned the helmet.

BTW how do you properly interpret these dates associated w/ Feldpost 15180A:

(24.3.1944-6.11.1944) 29.9.1944 Stab III u. 7.-8. Batterie Artillerie-Regiment 246

Which applies, the range of dates in brackets or the date outside the brackets?

Andrew

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X