Steel stamp 'FP 22777 A' help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel stamp 'FP 22777 A' help please

Today I got a German unit stamp made of steel. Never had a steel one before.

The number is 22777 A

can anyone please tell me the unit ???

Many thanks, Chris

Hi Chris, for this FP number this is what i found:

(28.4.1940-14.9.1940) Feldnachrichten-Kommandantur 20,
    (15.2.1942-30.7.1942) gestrichen, wurde Fp.Nr. 06332 D,
    (24.8.1943-5.4.1944) 26.1.1944 Stab u. 1.-4. Kompanie Füsilier-Bataillon 278.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
    - THE SS TK RING
    - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
    - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
    - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by antony.s View Post
      Hi Chris, for this FP number this is what i found:

(28.4.1940-14.9.1940) Feldnachrichten-Kommandantur 20,
      (15.2.1942-30.7.1942) gestrichen, wurde Fp.Nr. 06332 D,
      (24.8.1943-5.4.1944) 26.1.1944 Stab u. 1.-4. Kompanie Füsilier-Bataillon 278.

Hello Antony, thank very much for your help.

well it has to be the last option because this "stamper" (actual device that you make the stamps on the documents with) was brought back from Italy by a New Zealand soldier.

I see Fusilier-Batl. 278 was with the 278 Inf. Division on the Po river in Italy in 1945 so it makes sense that this is probably from where it came. The New Zealand Division saw a lot of action during the crossing of the Po and over-ran several German positions.

I have never seen a steel stamper before but again it makes sense being later in the war.

Much appreciated, Chris

p.s. just looking at it again and there is a possibility that it might have been got a little earlier than the Po at Rimini some where between August 1944 to Feb 1945.
      Last edited by 90th Light; 06-25-2009, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
        p.s. just looking at it again and there is a possibility that it might have been got a little earlier than the Po at Rimini some where between August 1944 to Feb 1945.
        From august 1944 and february 1945 the 278 ID fought a great number of battles against the british advance always in the Adriatic coast.
        In september was in Gothic Line, a well known german defensive line in Italy, and during his withdrawal the 278 fought at: Savignano, Cesena, Forlì...
        And stay in Italy until the end of april when, after covering the retreat of the 1 Parachute Corps, the bulk of the 278 was cut off and captured. The rest surrended after some days near Belluno.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
        - THE SS TK RING
        - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
        - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
        - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

The A would denote Stab, so in this case it would be Stab I. Bataillon, Füsilier Bataillon 278. It could not have been used for Feldnachrichten-Kommandantur 20.

/Ian
          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thank you, Antony and Ian.

I was hoping this unit was in Italy and it looks like I could not have got a German unit more involved on the Italian front if I tried.

Your help and confirmation is greatly appreciated, Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X