Any German researchers for hire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any German researchers for hire?

If anyone knows someone, or is interested in helping me gather any information on my deceased father's military career in the Waffen SS, I would be greatly appreciative. In particular, if someone is familiar with the formal processes of the Bundesarchiv or US National Archives, that would be most benefical. Thanks in advance, Bob

Bob:
    I am a card-carrying National Archives researcher....but currently live in NC. I am in the military and am about 90% sure I will be being reassigned to the Pentagon this summer. I obviously do my own research, so later on would be happy to help you out regarding looking him up at the NA. The National Archives are rather simple...getting there is the hardest part. You cannot bring hardly anything in there...just a few sheets of paper for the most part. The archives of personnel files has mainly German officer/equivalent type records. I have never researched for Waffen SS, but Heer records abound. Records are on microfiche'. It's a matter of going alphabetical, pulling the roll and scanning through it. If you wish to review anything on paper...it is best to (1) have tim eto wait or (2) email or call ahead and have them pull the boxes. Some documents rooms require gloves. Just about anything can be copied on their machines...not cheap. A Heer personnel file may cost up to $10 depending on the number of pages, as I recall, but it has been 3 years since I was last there.

I think you can just write the Bundesarchiv (they have a web page which is not at my finger tips right now) and wait for a response...which usually comes, just takes a while.
    CSP

sigpic

Comment

research

Thank you very much for your reply, Mr. Pritchett. The particular "area" where I believe there should be a recorded file, somewhere in the US records, would be regarding German POW's and there personal capture files. I remember he had a document from the US , regarding his German military history, when he emmirgrated here in 56'. Unfortunately, that copy was lost after his death. I've tried searching the NA online, but couldn't find an applicable file. My father used to mention about a government office in Baltimore, that held his file; but I haven't located one. My correspondences with the Bundesarchiv have also proved fruitless. Their processes seem difficult, and complicated. I think there to, "a man in the field" would be best, to do the searches. If you or anyone else is willing to be the "man in the field", at the NA or Bundesarchiv, please let me know (ramartin_0324@msn.com). I would be more than happy to compensate you for your time. Regards, Bob
      PS. In this season of thanksgiving, on behalf of my family, thank you for serving our country.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X