Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Story and Medal of my Mom.

Hello friends,

A fellow member of this forum told me to post this here. Nothing special on the first look, but it is THE KVK, that my mother won for an act of bravery in Kiel, where she managed the communications of the flak-units, which defended the harbour of Kiel. When Kiel was bombed, one of the main targets were of course the flak and communication... My Mother was the only one, who remained on her place and went on with her job.(She was afraid to go in the bunker) When the attack was over, she left the little house, in which the com-central was, and saw, that everything around this house was totally bombed out. Only this little house was in perfect shape. Later she got her KVK in Front of her complete unit and of course, she was very proud.
    And i also am very proud of her, she is a great woman, who had to manage a lot of tragedies in her life. She had 7 Children, 2 died. She lost her first fiance in the war, when his flak-batterie was hitten. After the war, she helped to build Germany up again as a "Trümmerfrau". Unfortunately her later husband was an alcoholic and caused a lot more trouble in her life. And so on... But she NEVER gave up. Now she is 78 and she is fit like a young one. She is everybodys grandma. A few of my friends do love her more than their own parents.
    And it is a thrill to own her medal now. It was found long after the fall of the wall in the house of her sister in Rostock. It was in a paper bag and hidden in a secret place. It looks like it came yesterday from the jeweller. My mother said, a comrad took it for her to the jeweller and presented it to her later.

After the war was over, she had to flew from her Home in Güstrow bei Rostock because the russians were on the way. My aunt had some very special experiences with them, which were unbelievable. It was that aunt, in which home this cross was hidden.

As my mom is 78 now, she doesnt remember very much of that time. Of course, she wanted to forget that all. It would be great for me to know a bit more about several things, so i want to ask you all, if anyone of you can tell me:

1. Which forces fought between 1941-1945 in the defence of the Kiel harbour.
    2. When was Kiel bombed?

Btw, it is the nicest KVK, i ever owned/saw. Beside the fact, it was my mothers.

Here it is:

Thank you in advance
    Gerd Becker

Hello Gerd,

Unfortunately I have no answers to your questions, but can say that this is a great story and thank you for sharing it with us! A wonderful cross with history!
    The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

Many times too many "collectors" forget that these "ordinary" items were not just some sort of cereal box prizes history left lying around so they could buy them--

REAL PEOPLE EARNED THEM.

Millions... millions!!!... of these were handed out in over five years.

But this ONE is unique.

And it has had "adventures" itself worthy of passing down for generations.

Comment

What a great story Gerd. I'm glad to hear your mother is still going strong!

Comment

I agree. Thanks for sharing your mother's story and medal with us. You must be very proud of her.

Comment

A great post Gerd! I agree with all the comments from the other members.
            With regards to the bombings carried out on Kiel by the RAF and USAAF there will have been a great many I suspect? I will see what I can find out for you.
            Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for your nice comments, guys. I will tell her your responses, she will be pleased.
              For me it is also more the history behind the item, that makes them valuable. I often think about the people, who wore the pieces i have.
              But this is of course a special item with a special story for me. I am glad to own it.
              all the best,
              Gerd

Comment

Originally posted by Gerd
                Thanks for your nice comments, guys. I will tell her your responses, she will be pleased.
                For me it is also more the history behind the item, that makes them valuable. I often think about the people, who wore the pieces i have.
                But this is of course a special item with a special story for me. I am glad to own it.
                all the best,
                Gerd
                Hello Gerd,
                That is a very very nice cross you got there , I wish that I knew some of the stories of my medals.
                I think you are one of the lucky few who's medal can actualy "talk".

It's also good to hear that your mother is still strong.

Frank Scheepers

Comment

Congratulations Gerd. You can be very proud. My Oma was a Truemmerfrau in the Ruhr. Those women contributed so much to the Wiederaufbau that you will not read about in the History books. With all the men dead, in the POW camps, or out of the country, they were the ones who had to sustain the elderly and the children. My mother told me how they used to sit next to a pile of rubble and pick the mortar off the undamaged bricks and stack them up to be used in the construction of new houses. And all that on about 1700 kilocalories a day, or whatever the Occupation-rations were in 1946-47. Best Regards Chris B.

Comment

Thanks. The contribution of the Trümmerfrauen in Germany was never really honored in Germany. They had to live on a very low level from day to day and nobody knew, if the future won´t come worser. They had to manage the rebuilding on their own. My dad was in russian capture too, but fortunately just a short time. His brother fell in Stalingrad. But he never talked with me about himself and his service in the war. All i know, is, that he was in the Reichsarbeitsdienst and then for a short time was a Flakhelfer. He probably saw also some worse things near his home in Wladimir/Poland, which caused his alcohol-problem. But i could never find out, what and where and who...
                    Thanks for your response, guys.
                    Gerd

Comment

Hi Gerd,
                      I can only echo what the others have already said. This post of yours was really a great one. The awards that have a story are always my favorite. Yours is especially interesting. Thanks for showing it! Tell your mother hello and give her my warm regards.
                      Thanks again, Sal

Comment

Thanks, sal. I will do so.

Gerd

Comment

Hello,

Every piece has his own history, we have many awards in our collections and we don't know nothing how they earned. How i wish to know in every award what is behind, well this is impossible.

Great story Gerd and very kind of you for sharing with us and don't forget: take care your mother.
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Chris. I will look for her.

Gerd

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X