help with grave marker id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with grave marker id

hi guy's i've just won this item off ebay and wondering how i'd go about researching this guy's..any help would be great here is the item http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270386998211
    cheers
    wayne

Well he's not listed on the Volksbund database.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

ok many thanks for that..i hav'nt paid for it yet and don't think i will then..
      cheers
      wayne

Comment

Originally posted by thatswar1944 View Post
        ok many thanks for that..i hav'nt paid for it yet and don't think i will then..
        cheers
        wayne

He is not the only one - not listed there !

Marker looks old to me.

Another not paying Ebay-er.

Check the item first before your bidding.

Comment

It doesnt mean anything if he is not listed on the Volksbund site.

To me the item looks period as well.

Jens

Comment

Jens is right, that he's not listed only means he has no known grave and is not known to them as yet. The volksbund adds many thousands of names to its database every year as well as carrying on the work of recovering and identifying remains, which also runs into the tens of thousands per year. In 2008 for example they carried out 39089 exhumations, also in 2008 they recorded a further 84204 death,missing or burial notices.
            Last edited by Simon O.; 05-12-2009, 05:21 AM.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

This to me also looks more like a typical plaque for a house etc. Aside from the above possibilities, also if he died in a military hospital etc. located in Germany he would not be listed in the database.

Comment

ok cheers guy's thats good enough for me.it look's period done and yes it does look like it belonged on a wall in the soldiers family home..it'll amongst his bothers in my man cave very soon..many many thanks
                wayne

Comment

Originally posted by jhodgson View Post
                  ......also if he died in a military hospital etc. located in Germany he would not be listed in the database.
                  Yes, he would. One of my relatives is. His brother however, mia in Africa, isn't listed at all.

Besides that I have notices severall times some differences between f.e. the info on the Volksbund and the info on a Sterbebild. I've send some Sterbebilder to the Volksbund and the changed their info to what's on the Sterbebild.

So besides all options we have the option "not correct listed" and our man could as well be:

Nachname: Lang
                  Vorname: Georg
                  Dienstgrad: Grenadier
                  Geburtsdatum: 19.09.1925
                  Geburtsort: Schuttwa
                  Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 21.02.1944 - 30.04.1945
                  Todes-/Vermisstenort: Kremsier

The item however is a nice period piece of work.....and history. And a nice starter the ask some questions to the WaSt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ypenburg View Post
                    Yes, he would. One of my relatives is. His brother however, mia in Africa, isn't listed at all.

Besides that I have notices severall times some differences between f.e. the info on the Volksbund and the info on a Sterbebild. I've send some Sterbebilder to the Volksbund and the changed their info to what's on the Sterbebild.

So besides all options we have the option "not correct listed" and our man could as well be:

Nachname: Lang
                    Vorname: Georg
                    Dienstgrad: Grenadier
                    Geburtsdatum: 19.09.1925
                    Geburtsort: Schuttwa
                    Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 21.02.1944 - 30.04.1945
                    Todes-/Vermisstenort: Kremsier

The item however is a nice period piece of work.....and history. And a nice starter the ask some questions to the WaSt.
                    I have examples of soldiers that died in military hospitals within Germany. They are not listed in the database and IMO and their bodies were claimed by the families for burial and they are buried in private graves. There probably are exceptions to the rule in many cases depending on where they were buried. Your family member may be in a military cemetery hence listed. There are no rules and many names are missing.

Comment

I saw this on ebay last night and bought it on a buy it now for less than your price,i take it you did you not buy it or has he a few ? just checking as just come across this thread, cheers Dave

Comment

no as you know i'm in a bit of a pickle..and i've just sold my house just last week so money is tight at the moment..it's an orginal piece no doubt about that..
                        wayne

Comment

Thanks Wayne for letting me know cheers Dave

Comment

Originally posted by thatswar1944 View Post
                            ok cheers guy's thats good enough for me.it look's period done and yes it does look like it belonged on a wall in the soldiers family home..it'll amongst his bothers in my man cave very soon..many many thanks
                            wayne
                            LOL Man cave - thats a funny way to put it! My wife has my "man cave" locked up in the closet~

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X