Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with identifying a early ss unit

Hello,
    does anyone have a clue to which unit that sub-unit would belong or is it impossible to tell?

"III / SS 9. Sturm"

I am not 100% sure but I believe that unit designation to be from ca. 1934 and most likely SS-VT. A vague guess is "LAH".

Thanks!!

Fritz

"III / SS 9. Sturm"
    It belonged to the early (Pre-Division) Leibstandarte (in action at brigade level in Poland).
    The Regimental level didn't exist in the then brigade.
    The III (Sturmbahn = Bataljon) had the Sturm (Coy) 9-11 Light and 12 heavy.
    It "could be" the SS-Verfügungstruppe but there is no mention of "Deutschland", "Germania" or "Der Führer" as would be more logical in the SS-Verfügungstruppe because this was much greater with 3 III's.
    P.

Comment

Roman numerals indicated a Zug, Halbzug, or Trupp, as well as a Bataillon.

The 3rd Bataillon of a Sturm (as written) is backwards, a Sturm is smaller than a Bataillon

Comment

Thanks guys, you are great!!

So it was a pre/early-war LAH unit?

Mark, do you think it means 3. Zug / 9. Sturm? The stamp says " III / SS 9. Sturm ".

Thanks!

Fritz
        Last edited by Fritz; 05-29-2009, 06:58 AM.

Comment

In technical sense yes but I would not see it done in such a way in what I normally read as they would write the whole unit with different puncuation.

Example:

III./9./III./10.SS-Standarte would be tech correct but normally I see 3 levels at most. What I wrote would be

III.Zug of 9.Sturm, in III.Sturmbann of the 10th SS Standarte

Hope that explains, I'm probably not describing very well. By 3 levels being normally shown what I mean is I would normally see as a longest unit typed from my above example would be

9./III./10.SS-Standarte (Sturm, Sturmbann and Standarte, or if later Waffen-SS: Kompanie, Bataillon and Regiment).

The same numerals would cover the same size units in Waffen-SS even though the unit tiles changed to military (Sturmbann to Bataillon, etc).

Comment

Thanks again! I don't know if that helps but I think the stamp is from 1934.

Thanks!!

Fritz

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X