Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stug brigade 914

Hi guys,

Small question, would anyone know whether the heeres sturmgeschütz brigade 914 was equipped with sturmpanzers (Brumbars)? I was not able to find a lot more info on the net about this brigade, is there anyone who would have some additional information?

Thanks
    Kind regards,
    Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Hi Giel

The commanders of this brigade are :

from March 1944 to August 1944 : Major Friedrich Domeyer
    from 4. August 1944 to March 1945 : Dr. Fritz-Lorenz Rabe.

This is the only information I have on this brigade.
    This will perhaps help you.

Regards

Phil.

Comment

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the information! One of the documents is indeed signed by Rabe
      Kind regards,
      Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Originally posted by Giel Van Wassenhove View Post
        Hi guys,

Small question, would anyone know whether the heeres sturmgeschütz brigade 914 was equipped with sturmpanzers (Brumbars)? I was not able to find a lot more info on the net about this brigade, is there anyone who would have some additional information?

Thanks

Giel,

Taken from: sturmvogel.orbat.com:
        Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 914
        Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 914 (Sep 44)

25 Jan 44 formed at Posen, WK XXI, with three batteries
        1 Feb 44 transferred to Italy
        6 Feb 44 received its (Italian?) StuGs in Verona
        14 Feb 44 redesignated Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 720 (?)
        Aug 44 redesignated Sturmpanzer-Abteilung 208?; re-equipped with German StuGs
        16 Sep 44 10th Army, Italy; still equipped with Italian StuGs(?)
        21 Oct 44 10th Army, Italy; still equipped with Italian StuGs(?)
        2 Feb 45 LI Corps, 14th Army, Army Group Ligurien
        [Nafziger: LI Corps, 14th Army (13 StuG and 10 StuH), 3/45]
        E 500 (Posen/Warthelager, WK XXI)
        SF: Feb I 44, South

No mention of ever being equipped with Sturmpanzer IV's... The info is a bit vague, I'll have to check my Sturmpanzer references for you and see if I can verify that.

Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob, that was one of the sites I found as well. Would be nice if you could check your files
          Kind regards,
          Giel

Comment

Originally posted by Giel Van Wassenhove View Post
            Thanks Rob, that was one of the sites I found as well. Would be nice if you could check your files

Giel-

I checked through my references and can't seem to find any mention of Sturmpanzer IVs being issued to Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 914/Sturmpanzer-Abteilung 208...

Sorry!
            Rob

Comment

Hi Giel, i've done a research about the history of this unit:

Armed in verona after being formed at Posen, and from here was sent to Pescara beside the 305 ID to block from the south the "via Emilia". During the transfer from the railstation of Senigallia the soldiers of 914 brigade were striked from enemies bombers and they have many losses. The 914 arived too late near Cassino and Rome, on may 28 the brigade keept the way Popoli-Aquila-Rieti against the allied attack.
              From july to november 1944 the 914 fough in a lot of battles near Parma, Genova and Alessandria. On november 23 it stopped at Pavullo, south of Modena, keeping the rearguard to permit to the inifantry to taking new positions.
              Here enemy bombers and partisan operations give to the 914 many losses. On april 23, when the entire south front collapsed, the brigade gradually withdraw to the nort losing again a great number of men.
              Last edited by antony.s; 04-25-2009, 04:29 AM.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
              - THE SS TK RING
              - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
              - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
              - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by antony.s View Post
                Hi Giel, i've done a research about the history of this unit:

Armed in verona after being formed at Posen, and from here was sent to Pescara beside the 305 ID to block from the south the "via Emilia". During the transfer from the railstation of Senigallia the soldiers of 914 brigade were stiked from enemies bombers and they have many losses. The 914 arived too late near Cassino and Rome, on may 28 the keept the way Popoli-Aquila-Rieti against the allied attack.
                From july to november 1944 the brigade fough in a lot of battles near Parma, Genova and Alessandria. On november 23 it stopped at Pavullo, south of Modena, keeping the rearguard to permit to the inifantry to taking new positions.
                Here enemy bombers and partisan operations give to the 914 many losses. On april 23, when the entire south front collapsed, the brigade gradually withdraw to the nort losing again a great number of men.

Antony-

Great research! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Did you happen to uncover any info regarding whether or not they were ever issued any Sturmpanzer IVs??? From what I can gather, it doesn't appear that they received any...

Thanks again,
                Rob

Comment

Hi Rob, from what i can see the brigade were equipped only with

"Carro Semovente" M43 105/25 (italian)

And this is the emblem of the unit:
                  Attached Files

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
                  - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

This plate from my collection maybe interesting for all of you.
                    Regards from Spain
                    Greg
                    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice piece Greg!
                      Perfect for the thread...

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
                      - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks A LOT guys You are the greatest!
                        Kind regards,
                        Giel

Comment

These are the only units equipped with the Sturmpanzer IV, although it is very odd that a StuG unit, part of the Artillery, would be renamed a Sturmpanzer unit, part of the Panzertruppen, even for only a month.

http://www.sturmpanzer.com/Default.a...ndex=2&tabid=3

http://www.die-sturmartillerie.com/914.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Alanmccoubrey View Post
                            These are the only units equipped with the Sturmpanzer IV, although it is very odd that a StuG unit, part of the Artillery, would be renamed a Sturmpanzer unit, part of the Panzertruppen, even for only a month.
                            Sorry, where you see that the 914 was equipped with Sturmpanzer IV?
                            Not always the same units were equipped with the same weapons...

My books:

- THE SS TK RING
                            - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

I don’t know the source for your suspicion about Sturmpanzers in Sturmgesch.Brig.914 but the document below may prove helpful.

It seems that at one time it was intended to use Sturmgesch.Brig.914 in the creation of Stu.Pz.Abt.218., the document below seems to hint at a complete battalion but we know that in fact this did not occur. A Stu.Pz.Kp. z.b.V. with 10 Sturmpanzer was formed but I believe the personnel for this unit came from Ausb.Abt. 18. To my knowledge the only Sturmpanzer unit to operate in Italy was Stu.Pz.Abt.216 and based on delivery records no other unit received Sturmpanzers except the 4 Sturmpanzer Abteilung.

All Sturmpanzer shipments in 1944 and 1945 are accounted for here: http://www.sturmpanzer.com/Default.a...3&item=1&sec=3

hope that helps.
                              Richard

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X