BunkerMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luftwaffe Fighter Pilot Manfred Stechbarth??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe Fighter Pilot Manfred Stechbarth??

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how many kills this Luftwaffe pilot is credited with? He was a Leutnant in JG27.

Thank you
    Kurt

I can only find one at the moment but he apparantly had 2 victories.

2.3.1945 - Ltn. Manfred Stechbarth. - 13/JG 27 - Typhoon over Achmer.

Looks like he was wounded that day as he was probably shot down by F/Sgt Jacques Groensteen as he filed a combat report on Lt Manfred Stechbarth Bf 109 K-4 333 945 13./JG 27 or Gefr. Robert Sonnet Bf 109 K-4 334 154 15./JG 27, both wounded. IV/JG 27 lost 6 aircraft destroyed, III/JG 27 lost another 4, all in the Rheine/Achmer area on 2 March.

/Ian
    Last edited by Ian Jewison; 04-14-2009, 03:02 PM.
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thank You

Appreciate the info Ian. I have several books here on Luftwaffe fighter pilots but of curse much to my chagrin they only discuss those with 20+ kills.

Kurt

Comment

Thank You

Appreciate the info Ian. I have several books here on Luftwaffe fighter pilots but of course much to my chagrin they only discuss those with 20+ kills.

Kurt

Comment

I came across this on a website a combat report for Jacques Groensteen.

"F/Sgt Jacques Groensteen of 350 (Belgian) Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 March, 1945:

I was flying Blue 2 to F.Lt Hoornhaert, and the squadron was operating with 130 Squadron led by W/Cdr Keefer on a fighter sweep. We were N/E of Rheine and we were giving cover to 130 who had gone down to attack. When at about 10,000 feet I saw a gaggle of e/a at about seven or eight thousand feet. I followed my No. 1 down and I picked out a Me 109 which was flying at an angle of about 90 degrees to me. I turned and got on to his tail and the e/a began to turn. I kept on to his tail and I opened fire from 400 yards closing to about 100 yards. I was dead astern and I fired with cannon and machine guns. I had closed to what I estimate about 50 yards when the pilot of the e/a jettisoned his hood, turned the aircraft on its back and baled out.
          I claim the Me 109 destroyed."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X