Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obersturmbannfuhrer Rudolf Dirnagel - Kampfgruppe Dirnagel

Hi Guys,

I'm just starting my first real research project. This is a group I recently received from a friend. I have some information on the Kampfgruppe but not the man. I would appreciate any help you can offer. I've posted a few pics of him and a few of his award docs on the Photos/Documents thread too.

According to WSSOB, Kampfgruppe Dirnagel was formed in March 1945. Dirnagel was the commanding officer of 2./SS-Flak-Abt. "Ost". His unit along with others was formed into the kampfgruppe to be used as an anti-tank unit against the US. They may have been responsible for destroying up to 40 allied tanks before surrendering in May.

If my little bit of research so far is correct, 2./SS-Flak-Abt. was a part of the 2nd SS Panzer division "Das Reich".

This is all I know so far. Please help with any info or direction of where I should search.

Thanks
    John

Just 300 vehicles of the US Army were destroyed by the fight group Dirnagel from the end of March, 1945. Nevertheless, there are no exact proofs of it....

sorry for the bad english, i am student

Comment

Part of the data for Dirnagel in "German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police," volume 4 (Cavalry). He was not in command of the 2.Bttr of Ost in 1945, the unit long since being disbanded and its elements absorbed elsewhere (most to the SS-Kavallerie Division). Likewise not a Bttr commander at his rank:

"Obersturmbannführer Karl Burk left command of Flak Abteilung “Ost” on February 26, 1942, to assume command of Gruppe “Debes” that was renamed Gruppe “Burk.” Dirnagel (SS# 8 107), previously on the staff of the 14.SS-Totenkopfstandarte, moved from command of the 2.Batterie to succeed Burk and was in turn succeeded by Löschnigg as 2.Batterie Chef. See later miscellaneous volume for Burk’s biography (German Cross in Gold) who later resumed command of "Ost." Dirnagel later commanded the I./SS-Flak-Ausbildungs- und Ersatz Regiment. He ended the war as an Obersturmbannführer leading the still forming SS-Flak Abteilung 513, the designated corps anti-aircraft element of the XIII.SS-Armeekorps."

Comment

Hi John,

Here is some data from Dirnagel's SSOA personnel file at the National Archives, and there are an additional 100+ pages in his file. I did not have the opportunity to determine if any of the docs were from the late period in question, but perhaps.

I hope this helps.

Mike Constandy
        mjc@westmorelandresearch.org
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Other documents and KTB needed for any details, the Stammkarte shown is notoriously, obviously, inaccurate compared to actual wartime post or assignment events in the field. Basically only accurate for promotion dates, birthplace, etc.

Comment

Dirnagel

Thanks for the info guys. I don't know if you realize it or not, but this thread is almost 7 years old, it is still nice to be getting your replies. Actually I had another thread about him posted around the same time that had several replies as well.

Mark thank you for the quote from your book, obviously I need to buy that. So if I go looking for a KTB with info, should I be looking for the one from the SS-Flak-Abteilung 513?

Mike, thanks for the document. Actually I have his entire personnel file from NARA on microfilm now and have scanned it into full size.

I was also surprised to receive an email from his grandson a couple of years ago. He supplied me with details of Dirnagel's life after the war and a few photos I did not have in his 3 albums I own.

Comment

Ha! I saw the 31 May post and ran with it! I'd love to see some images from your albums if you are so inclined. Quite a collection!

Cheers

Comment

Don't know off hand if any 513 KTB exist, doubt it from my recollection of the sparse Korps and Korps elements material for them in T-354 at NARS.

Flak Abt KTB for "Das Reich" are there, but my "Ost" KTBs came from Europe along with those for Kdo Stab RFSS, Beg. Btl RFSS, etc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X