15 Infanterie Division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 Infanterie Division

I'm looking for info regarding this division, specially when it was retired from the Ostfront and when it returned to combat.

Thanks

Angel
    Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Me, too.

Originally posted by Angel Farré
    I'm looking for info regarding this division, specially when it was retired from the Ostfront and when it returned to combat.

Thanks

Angel
    I have a number of letters from a soldier DOW 8/43 from IR 81, so would love more info myself.

Comment

Hello Angel,

From Mitchum's "Hitler's Legions", the 15th Infantry Division saw heavy combat as part of Army Group Centre from June 22 to late 1941; it was pulled from combat and sent to the area of La Rochelle, France "before the start of the Soviet winter offensive" - which began on December 5, 1941. It remained in France until the loss of Stalingrad and returned to the ostfront on February 16, 1943. It remained in the east until it surrendered, with the remnants of Army Group Centre, east of Prague in the last days of the war.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike, I was wonder when it was withdrawn from the Ostfront as I want to know if its members could be qualificated to the Ostmedaille, if they were retired before December 5th and the qualification period started on November 15th they have a maximun of 20 days to serve on combat duty 15 or being wounded so they could receive the Frozen Meat medal.

Anything more?

Angel
        Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

I have dive into my document collection and found a group to an officer serving with Inf.Rgt. 81 in the 15 Inf. Div. and I was surprised with the fact that this soldier not only received the Ostmedaille but he was wounded on December 28th, 1.941 so I suppose that the division was withdrawn from the Ostfront in batches leaving behind some of his units that were pulled off at a later date. Anyone has a Wehrpass from a soldier in this division? if he has notated when he was withdrawn to France we can have a better picture of what happened to this particular unit.

Angel

Comment

something of the 15th...

Originally posted by Angel Farré
            I have dive into my document collection and found a group to an officer serving with Inf.Rgt. 81 in the 15 Inf. Div. and I was surprised with the fact that this soldier not only received the Ostmedaille but he was wounded on December 28th, 1.941 so I suppose that the division was withdrawn from the Ostfront in batches leaving behind some of his units that were pulled off at a later date. Anyone has a Wehrpass from a soldier in this division? if he has notated when he was withdrawn to France we can have a better picture of what happened to this particular unit.

Angel
            I can tell you this, Angel. The smattering of letters that I have from this man do give just an intimation of life with this unit. He was called into the 14th Kompanie, IR 81 in 9/39, and stayed with that kompanie until his death in September '43. My understanding is that when the 16th was entrained to the Eastern Front in July '41, they were brought to a hot area and detrained directly into combat. He did send a postcard home from Paris at the end of September '42, still using his Kp. FP# so I'm sure was enjoying leave. In early October he writes of having spent 2 days in Paris, and was now back at the front in his capacity of "M.G. Fuehrer in der Kompanie". When he died it was at Feldlazarett 15 (m.), Krivoj-Rog, Ukraine.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X