Luftwaffe ace: Hans Dammers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe ace: Hans Dammers

I am trying to find information, awards documentation and pictures on Hans Dammers. I have aquired his flight helmet and goggles, but I would love to expand on this. I have done the all the googling possible, but was wondering if members have any additional information. Jacques
    Attached Files

Lt Hans Dammers
    Born 8/12/1913
    Died 17/3/1944

RK as Feldwebel as pilot in 7/JG 52 [23/8/42]
    DKiG as Unteroffizier in 7/JG 52 [10/7/42]

DOW 17/3/44 Stanisla/Soviet Union in hospital.
    Posthumously promoted to Lt.

Comment

Here is a link for a short bio:
      http://www.luftwaffe39-45.historia.n...es/dammers.htm

It is in Portuguese but I think that a Google translator can give you yhe information you need.

Douglas

Comment

OK.
        I should know that most of the people around here do not understand Portuguese . Shall we try in German?

The text below came from the Ernst Obermaier's book "Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe 1939-1945 - Band I". Hope you enjoy it.

Greetings,

Douglas.
        Attached Files

Comment

Douglas, thank you for the information. That covers what I could get of the net. I was also hoping for additional information from members here. Jacques

Comment

Anything else on Dammers? Interesting fact. He flew with Erich Hartmann in the same wing. He was flying Yellow Nine when he was killed. Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
              Anything else on Dammers? Interesting fact. He flew with Erich Hartmann in the same wing. He was flying Yellow Nine when he was killed. Jacques
              On 03/13/44 after down 1 Laag (113e victory) his was rammed by a crashing La5 and his parachute became entangled with the tailplane. On 03/17/44 he died from the sustained injuries.

He was describe as an aggressive fighter pilot, able to wear out is opponent before to shor it down.

Comment

I found these pics of Dammers. Receiving his RK and one where he has put his awards on a Steiff teddybear while on leave. Jacques
                Attached Files

Comment

It's very interesting to see that the gulls ( rank ) on his sleeves of his flight jacket are painted on ...

Any chance to see the goggles and cap in the flight section, Jacques ?

Jos.

Comment

Steiif

Very COOL bear, nice sense of humor
                    Newton

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                      I have done the all the googling possible, but was wondering if members have any additional information. Jacques

jacques

Have you considered retreiving the aerial claims submitted by Hans Dammers?

http://don-caldwell.we.bs/claims/tonywood.htm

Regards Richard.
                      Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

I just came across a very interesting piece of information linked to Dammers. On convalecence he took the tail of his plane pictured above home as a souvenier. It was found 50 years later in a chicken coup an was given to the museum in the story below. The google translation is a bit rough :

"
                        These original pictures from the two sides of the rudder from 1943 are an absolute rarity, because it was one of the rare double-sided sideloaders at all.
                        Dammers only had this side-rotor during his affiliation to the East supplementary group, so on his machine. Before returning to the JG 52, he took the rudder during a convalescence, then as a reminder.
                        There it survived the rest of the war even after his death. Even more astonishing is that after the war, it spent nearly 50 years in a former chickens, until an evangelical pastor finally lent him a sponsorship to the TG-JG 52 eV.
                        (Side rudder type plate factory no .: 3933 and page No. 109 313 F of Messerschmitt AG - Wiener Neustadt Flugzeugwerke.)
                        The Rudder is technically still in very good condition. Only the painting will have to be restored soon, in order to be able to exhibit it again next to Graf's famous side-rotor in the Sinsheim-Speyer technical museum.

"
                        Dammers hat dieses Seitenruder nur während seiner Zugehörigkeit zur Ergänzungsgruppe Ost, so an seiner Maschine gehabt. Vor der Rückversetzung zum JG 52, hat er das Seitenruder während eines Genesungsurlaubes, als Erinnerungsstück dann mit nach hause genommen.
                        Dort hat es auch nach seinem Tode, den restlichen Krieg überlebt. Noch erstaunlicher ist, dass es dann nach dem Kriege u. A. fast 50 Jahre in einem ehemaligen Hühnerstall verbracht hat, bis es dann durch einen evangelischen Pfarrer letztendlich über einen Sponsor zur TG-JG 52 e.V. als Leihgabe kam.
                        ( Seitenruder-Typenschild Werk- Nr.: 3933 und S. Nr. 109 313 F der Messerschmitt AG – Wiener Neustadt Flugzeugwerke.)

Das Seitenruder ist technisch noch in sehr gutem Zustand. Einzig die Lackierung wird demnächst restauriert werden müssen, um es dann hernach neben Grafs berühmtem Seitenruder im Technikmuseum Sinsheim-Speyer wieder ausstellen zu können.

Any one know about this museum or have any further info?

Comment

Hans Dammers

from my files...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Eric, thanx, which paper is the clipping from? J

Comment

The clip is from Der Adler. Not sure which issue.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X