Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RKT Major Dr. Albrecht Lanz (I.R.17)

Hello,

Can someone shed more light on a KC-winner named Albrecht Lanz, please? I'm going through the regimental history of Infanterie-Regiment 17 and this is where a certain Major Dr. Lanz died on January 27, 1942. And I quote from the German book:

Am 27.1.1942 starb an seiner Verwundung der Kommandeur des III./IR17, Major Dr. Lanz. Das Infanterie-Regiment 17 steht im tiefer Trauer an dem Heldengrab dieses tapferen Offizier. In Friedenszeiten als Kompanie-Chef der 11.(Jg)/IR17 voll bewährt, zielte sein ganzes Streben dahin, den hohen Ruf des Jäger-Bataillons als Skitruppe zu erhalten und zu fördern. Das Bataillon und damit das Regiment dankt daher diesem Offizier viel für das Ansehen der Nummer 17. Als Bataillons-Kommandeur im Kriege zeigte er sich als ganzer deutscher Mann. Das Ritterkreuz war der Lohn für hervorragende Tapferkeit und Führung. Nur zwei Monate führte er sein geliebtes Goslarer Jäger-Bataillon. Was wir erwarteten, hielt er: Ein vorbildlicher Jäger-Offizier. In den schweren Abwehr- und Rückzugskämpfen zeigte sich unter sein Führung das Bataillon seiner Tradition getreu als das Goslarer Jäger-Bataillon.
    Das Regiment legt in Gedanken an seinem fernen Heldengrab einen Jägerbruch nieder. Die Pleßhörner lassen ein Halali über die ewigen Jagdgründe erschallen, in die nun auch unser Kamerad Lanz eingegangen ist. Ein letztes Horrido! Wir bleiben dir treu!

gez. (Joachim) von Stolzmann
    (Regimentskommandeur)

After searching the net, I'm convinced this must be Albrecht Lanz. His name turns up during (or after) the occupation of the Channel Islands. But I'm curious to find more though as these are only 'bits & pieces'...preferably the units he served with. The text says he already served with I.R.17 prewar, but he earned the KC elsewhere and only returned to his beloved regiment two months before his death.

Thanks in advance,
    Laurens

Laurens,

One and the same man. Obstlt. Dr. Albrecht Lanz, dob 25.2.98, Nr. 4710343, RDA 1.9.40, died of his wounds 27.1.42. He also served in Inf. Rgt. 396 prior to IR 17.

Best,

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Any sign of another unit besides I.R.396?
      Furthermore, can you please enlighten me with the meaning of the number 4710343 and the abbreviation RDA? I am not familiar with these

Laurens

Comment

I was looking at his casualty records and there was no further unit information. I can look for more biographic info on Wed and I'll update you at that time.

RDA = Rangdienstalter = Rank and Seniority.

Comment

Thanks Mike
          Looking forward to your reply....

Laurens

Comment

LANZ's personnel file is rather scant, but here are a few interesting docs. Are you looking for something in particular?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by MJC; 11-13-2008, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

4. Cheers
                  Attached Files

Comment

Interesting material that is

I'm mostly looking for the units he served with, during wartime and prewar. In one of the copies, one can find a mistake (as III./I.R.7 should be III/I.R.17). And a new bit of information can be seen in the last copy, where II./I.R.194 is suddenly mentioned.

Laurens

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X