Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

42nd Infantry Regiment

Hi,

I recently acquired a photo of an Obergefreiter in the 42nd Regiment. He was the receipent of the IC 2nd Class and the Infantry Assault Badge. The photo is dated November 19, 1944. Could someone give me a brief history of this regiment? I'd put the photo up on the forum, but my printers scanning feature isn't working right. The other lousy thing about that is there's writing in the back that I'd like translated and since I can't scan it, I can't have a forum member translate it.The Obergefreiter's name appears to be Paul Hauffe. There's an accent mark over the u in his surname.

John

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
    Hi,

I recently acquired a photo of an Obergefreiter in the 42nd Regiment. He was the receipent of the IC 2nd Class and the Infantry Assault Badge. The photo is dated November 19, 1944. Could someone give me a brief history of this regiment? I'd put the photo up on the forum, but my printers scanning feature isn't working right. The other lousy thing about that is there's writing in the back that I'd like translated and since I can't scan it, I can't have a forum member translate it.The Obergefreiter's name appears to be Paul Hauffe. There's an accent mark over the u in his surname.

John
    There are two war dead, 1 KIA and one man that died in a KGL with that name in 1945, is your guy looking young or older about 45 etc. ?

Comment

They were part of the 46th Infantry Division, here is a short unit history in English:

http://www.feldgrau.com/InfDiv.php?ID=42

Comment

42nd Infantry Regiment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The Paul Hauffe in the photo appears to be 45 give or take a year or two either way.

John

Comment

So it might be this guy, no umlaut for the U but the other things seem to match.

He died in a camp near Riga after the War.

http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche...3D384D3563A12A

Comment

Paul Hauffe

Hi,

Thanks for the research. You're right, all the info seems to match with my guy. It says KGL 3338, was that the POW Camp number or his number while being held there? Any ideas? Oh what did it say about the other Paul Hauffe who you said was KIA?

John

Comment

He was MIA in Poland and not near where the 46th was fighting

http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche...8326F7779D1A7B

KGL 3338 is for Kriegsgefangenenlager 3338, not his number.

Comment

Paul Hauffe

Interesting. The information on the other Paul Hauffe didn't show up. Maybe the link was bad as it took me to the site, but didn't show the MIA Paul Hauffe's information. You're right though, the POW guy must be the right one as he was the right age and this other guy couldn't have been in the 46th Division. Thanks for your help with this.

John

Comment

Interesting. The information on the other Paul Hauffe didn't show up. Maybe the link was bad as it took me to the site, but didn't show the MIA Paul Hauffe's information. You're right though, the POW guy must be the right one as he was the right age and this other guy couldn't have been in the 46th Division. Thanks for your help with this.

John
                  Maybe, the database usually has Umlauts on the names but there are mistakes on there, it is possible, even likely that it is him BUT you never know for sure unless you match the DOB etc. Still a fun toy.

Comment

Paul Hauffe

That's true. The Paul Hauffe who sent this photo, sent it to some guy named Reinhold Luck,umlaut over the u, who was living in Berlin. That's weird, I just tried to look up the Paul Hauffe who died as a POW and now his info isn't appearing either. I guess the site has some sort of time period on how long the info will appear. Anyway, he seemed to be the right guy. Born on May 14, 1900 and died August 9, 1945. That would have made him 45 at time of death.
                    I think I can basically translate what Paul said to Reinhold. It looks like he said In true Kameradschaft(would that be translated as comradeship?Paul Hauffe Kuhnhilde umlaut over the u. Don't know what that word means. then the date 19/11/44. Any idea where Grossdubau is? I believe that's where the site said Paul was born.

John

Comment

That's true. The Paul Hauffe who sent this photo, sent it to some guy named Reinhold Luck,umlaut over the u, who was living in Berlin. That's weird, I just tried to look up the Paul Hauffe who died as a POW and now his info isn't appearing either. I guess the site has some sort of time period on how long the info will appear. Anyway, he seemed to be the right guy. Born on May 14, 1900 and died August 9, 1945. That would have made him 45 at time of death.
                      I think I can basically translate what Paul said to Reinhold. It looks like he said In true Kameradschaft(would that be translated as comradeship?Paul Hauffe Kuhnhilde umlaut over the u. Don't know what that word means. then the date 19/11/44. Any idea where Grossdubau is? I believe that's where the site said Paul was born.

John
                      You have to register to use the site and see the listing, this page explains how to do it in English:

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=3595

"Großdubrau" where he was born is a town in what is now far western Germany

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gro%C3%9Fdubrau

Comment

Paul Hauffe photo

Here's the photo. I will scan the back of it as well.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Paul Hauffe reverse

Here's the reverse of the above image. If someone could translat the writing, I'd appreciate it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

It says: In treuer Kameradschaft, gewidmet von Paul Hauffe,
                            Kühnhaide den 19.11.44

First, here is Kühnhaide: http://www.kuehnhaide.de/

2nd: "In loyal comradship, "devoted" by Paul Hauffe."

Comment

Paul Hauffe

Hi,

Thanks for the translation. Kuhnhaide is a pretty village. Where is it in Germany?

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X